Miata Install and DIY sensor Breakout Box

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

cyotani

Miata Install and DIY sensor Breakout Box

Post by cyotani »

I recently picked up a Racecapture Pro 2. And so far, I am very impressed. The LUA scripting feature sets this logger apart from anything else. I was able to write CAN bus code to sync data for a arduino based 12 sensor IR tire temp system in just a few hours. The software is pretty straight forward and the android app display with predictive lap timing is a nice feature.

Unfortunately my car blew up on me the first time out on the track with the system but I'll post a more detailed review once I have more hands on experience with the system. In the mean time, here is some install pics and a DIY sensor breakout box. I wanted to clean up the wiring and make it easy to change sensors and provide the necessary pull up resistors for the passive temp sensors.

Material costs (about $35 total)
-5x 2 pin GX16 connectors ($7 ebay)
-5x 3 pin GX16 connectors ($7 ebay)
-DB25 breakout board ($12 amazon)
-DB25 cable ($9 amazon)
-Misc wires and resistors laying around the house
-3D printer enclosure

Pull up resistors for the new sensor breakout box for my racecapture

enclosure printing

All wired up, This makes it much easier to add new sensors and pass everything through the firewall with a single cable.

Messy engine bay.

Finished the install