GPS antenna mounting

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

momostallion

GPS antenna mounting

Post by momostallion »

Currently my mk2 GPS antenna is mounted inside my car, on top of the dash directly under the windshield. The windshield is pretty thin but does have a layer of tint on it.

Would it be wise to move the antenna to my trunk deck lid outside of the car? I want to avoid any potential interference.

I've only every had an issue with the GPS reception accuracy when I put the sample rate at 50hz, I've since put that back to 10hz.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

windshield is fine so long as there's no tint in the way. Rear deck / outside would work well as well.

We've found 50Hz is best if you're in a 100% clear sky situation - no obstructions horizon to horizon. Roof mount GPS is likely the best in this particular case!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

yea, my windshield is tinted so I might move it. is it fine for the GPS antenna to be exposed to sun/rain?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yup, it's weatherproof!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Possibly a daft question, but in a saloon car, could I magnetise it upside down on the inside of the roof skin? Is this going to significantly reduce the performance of the GPS reception?
I'm basically looking at a permanent(ish) installation into one car, and so was going to mount it to the inside of the roof skin behind the X in the roof bars, then route the harness around the cage and down to the RCP2 unit..

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

hopefully this explains what I am thinking a bit better...
Attachments
Picture of inverted internal roof mount!
Picture of inverted internal roof mount!
WP_20151230_17_23_14_Rich.jpg (92.99 KiB) Viewed 5346 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Ouch! that will not work at all. Antenna needs to point up towards the sky- mounted on the roof, for best performance. Glad we were able to clarify it!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Ok cool..
I get GPS reception on my phone on the centre console of my car (i.e. below that location) so figured it was worth asking before I install it :)