Power Source

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

maheshwarrank

Power Source

Post by maheshwarrank »

Is it necessary to connect the 12 V power source or can we just power Race Capture Pro using a power bank (using a USB to mini USB cable). What are the differences between the 2 cases?

ddimensia

Post by ddimensia »

I have the same question, what's lost besides alternator output (battery gauge) if you run off the usb power?

The reason I'm interested is I'm still trying to solve the issue of having to cut full power to the care during refueling due to race regulations. I attempted to dual power the RCP, 12v + usb battery backup, but it still causes the RCP to power cycle when the 12v is cut. I think it's due to the Anker battery backup shutting down with no load after a few minutes.

My alternate is to inline a 12v battery backup that's isolated to the RCP.

ddimensia

Post by ddimensia »

Maybe something like this would work to deal with my power switching issues.

http://www.mini-box.com/picoUPS-120-12V ... ery-backup

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

For racing situations you will want to power RCP via the 12v input so the 5v reference works properly. Also, to run cellular telemetry RCP needs 12v power.

I'm curious, why do you want to keep RCP running when the car is shut off?
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

ddimensia

Post by ddimensia »

Going to try https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Upt ... entries*=0 which should do the trick for my needs, would be good to know the limitations of powering via 5v USB though. I would assume it may limit the current supply for the 5v reference given USB2 is spec'd at only 500ma until you go to USB-C.

ddimensia

Post by ddimensia »

rdoherty wrote:For racing situations you will want to power RCP via the 12v input so the 5v reference works properly. Also, to run cellular telemetry RCP needs 12v power.

I'm curious, why do you want to keep RCP running when the car is shut off?
Well the car is only off for a few minutes for fueling but we've seen issues with the auto track selection not picking up the track after restart. We have moved the GPS antenna to the roof, was towards the top of the windshield inside before, and switched from 25hz to 10hz per the recommendations on the wiki which may help things. However, there's also the issue of lap data in podium, strange log output and other issues we saw at the last race. Didn't help we developed a short in the input voltage wire on the second day but I figured a lack of power cycling would reduce issues. Given all of our gauges, except low fuel light and tach, are now delivered via RCP to a tablet I want the thing as stable and reliable as I can get it.

aUzer

Post by aUzer »

rdoherty wrote:... I'm curious, why do you want to keep RCP running when the car is shut off?
ddimensia wrote:... Well the car is only off for a few minutes for fueling but we've seen issues with the auto track selection not picking up the track after restart. ...
[yes, I know this is an old posting, but it's an important item]

The reason is because it will normally take 3-5 minutes to obtain a high-quality GPS lock when the RaceCapture unit is powered up, thus the issue mentioned by ddimensia.

shields8

Re: Power Source

Post by shields8 »

We have our RCP wired direct (fused and switched) separate from ignition. That way during fuelling we do not lose signal and have to go through a reboot and restart logging etc. Works well for us.