12V Power - Terminal Block vs CAN

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Rajat

12V Power - Terminal Block vs CAN

Post by Rajat »

I am working on installing a RaceCapture MK2 in my 1995 Miata. In terms of providing 12V power source, I see 2 options:

1) 12V source from radio with 10 Amp fuse connected to terminal block

2) 12V source from CAN connected to Megasquirt.

I am a bit confused that if I use the power from Radio, do I still need to connect power on the Ethernet Cable as per the instructions on wiki?

Any help is much appreciated.

Raj

Rajat

Post by Rajat »

Bump, any help is much appreciated. I am hoping to wire it up this weekend.

TXBDan

Post by TXBDan »

You should run a dedicated power source. Use a fuse and likely a relay if you want it switched with ignition.

Rajat

Post by Rajat »

TXBDan wrote:You should run a dedicated power source. Use a fuse and likely a relay if you want it switched with ignition.
So I am planning to take the radio unit out, it already has a 10amp fuse and switches on with ignition. With the power from radio connected to terminal block, I just connect can - H and can-L from MS3 to serial port via ethernet cable? Am I missing anything?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You can connect power via the RJ45, or via the terminal block.

With MK2, do not connect both at the same time to different circuits, or you current will back-feed through MK2.

MK3 has protection diodes internally, so it would be safe to connect power to RJ45 and molex connector.

For your case, you can do the following:

* Connect CANH / CANL to Megasquirt via RJ45
* Connect power and ground via terminal block. Recommended you connect ground for RaceCapture to the same location as ground is connected for your Megasquirt.

Let us know how it works out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Rajat

Post by Rajat »

brentp wrote:You can connect power via the RJ45, or via the terminal block.

With MK2, do not connect both at the same time to different circuits, or you current will back-feed through MK2.

MK3 has protection diodes internally, so it would be safe to connect power to RJ45 and molex connector.

For your case, you can do the following:

* Connect CANH / CANL to Megasquirt via RJ45
* Connect power and ground via terminal block. Recommended you connect ground for RaceCapture to the same location as ground is connected for your Megasquirt.

Let us know how it works out!
Thanks Brent, appreciate your help. I ended up connecting power and ground via terminal block, it has a 10A fuse on it. As of now, CAN between MS3 and RCP MK2 is working, it took me a while since I had an older firmware on MS3. Apparently, atleast 1.4.0 firmware is needed on MS3.

The next projects involve adding a display based on Raspberry Pi as you explained in the WIKI, adding a steering wheel angle sensor and figuring out how to get wheel speeds from existing sensors/ABS, if possible.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Awesome, thanks for the update!

And in case you missed it: https://www.autosportlabs.com/show-us-y ... tallation/
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter