RCP not connecting

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Mugenlude

RCP not connecting

Post by Mugenlude »

Here is a video of my issue... App not connection up to RCP, Bluetooth is paired up... Also can't write a file.

https://youtu.be/RkuK_laB-FI

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the video, it's helpful. What I would do is:

1) go into Android Bluetooth settings
2) unpair the RaceCapturePro device
3) stop / start bluetooth (or reboot device)
4) re-pair bluetooth with RaceCapturePro
5) re-launch the app

If that doesn't work, please try with a different tablet, just to rule out a fundamental problem with the bluetooth module.

Regarding not being able to write, it's due to you not being connected to RCP. Once you're able to connect you'll be able to read / write configuration data from the unit.

Question, did this work previously, and suddenly stopped working?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

I'll try the process in the order you specified above to see if it changes anything... in the process of my troubleshooting I did unpair/pair RCP and I did power cycle the tablet as well. I don't know if it happened in the order of your process. I can also try to connect via my smartphone to eliminate the tablet as an issue. I'll report back.

I'm using RCP to collect data with Solo Storm, I just purchase the OBDII Legacy plug for my C5 Corvette, so this was the first time I tried to write a file.

I really don't recall it saying "Connected", just "Connecting"... but I have been using Solo Storm with the RCP collecting the GPS data for the past 4 events.... that would leave me to believe that the bluetooth on both the RCP and tablet are working, as that it is how SoloStorm is connected to RCP.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to gathering this data =)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks. Will watch for the results!

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

Well, the process above didn't work... tried it with my smartphone, no connection.

Decided to take a flyer and disconnect the bluetooth module from the RCP, boom, both of them connect without a hitch... as expected, I can save configuration files. Think I'm good now. =)

Off to see what data I can pull. =)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update.

Can you explain further - you disconnected the bluetooth module and it worked? Did you mean that you disconnected and re-connected it again?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

brentp wrote:Thanks for the update.

Can you explain further - you disconnected the bluetooth module and it worked? Did you mean that you disconnected and re-connected it again?
Yeah, un-plug and re-connected the plug into the bluetooth module. Didn't power cycle the RCP or anything.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That was weird; let us know if you see it again!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

I thought that this issue was resolved (it was working for a couple events), however, the same issue has come about again.

I have tried the process you listed above, as well as tried the process that worked for me previously (unplugging the Bluetooth module). I have also tried connecting with my smartphone, which has been unsuccessful.

The weird thing is that my SoloStorm is able to connect on the tablet via Bluetooth to get me a GPS signal. So it would seem as if the Bluetooth module is working. I have shutdown the tablet and unplugged the RCP unit, then tried to launch RC app first, thinking that maybe having SoloStorm connecting was messing things up. However, it did not change anything.

Cliff Notes:
- cannot connect Bluetooth via tablet
- cannot connect smartphone via Bluetooth
- can connect via SoloStorm installed on tablet w/ Bluetooth to receive GPS signal
- power cylcing and unpair/pairing the unit changed nothing

TIA

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update.

Depending on the Android device, a couple of things you can do might help resolve the issue.

* Restart the bluetooth Service under Android settings (outside the app) - go to Android Settings, bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off, then on again
* If that doesn't help, a phone reboot might clear it up.

Some other things to check:

* When you're attempting to connect, do you see the LED on the BT module go from flashing to solid?
* Check that you're on the latest app version (v1.10.2 currently)
* Can you connect with a different android device?

* Connect to the RaceCapture app running on your PC, over USB. Go to System Status via the hamburger menu in the upper left. Check Bluetooth status. Does it say "Initialized"? Do this *without* the Android device attempting to connect. An "Initialized" indicator means RCP was able to communicate with the bluetooth module.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

brentp wrote:Thanks for the update.

Depending on the Android device, a couple of things you can do might help resolve the issue.

* Restart the bluetooth Service under Android settings (outside the app) - go to Android Settings, bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off, then on again. Did this no change
* If that doesn't help, a phone reboot might clear it up. This allowed my smartphone to connect, however, the tablet still isn't connecting.

Some other things to check:

* When you're attempting to connect, do you see the LED on the BT module go from flashing to solid? Yes
* Check that you're on the latest app version (v1.10.2 currently) I am.
* Can you connect with a different android device? These are the only two I have.

* Connect to the RaceCapture app running on your PC, over USB. Go to System Status via the hamburger menu in the upper left. Check Bluetooth status. Does it say "Initialized"? Do this *without* the Android device attempting to connect. An "Initialized" indicator means RCP was able to communicate with the bluetooth module.My laptop took a crap, so I'm going to have to wait to do this.
I'm back up and connected, wish I could pin point what the issue is that is causing this though, as it seems random.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update.

So your phone connects reliably, but not your tablet?

What is the brand / model of the phone and tablet?

One thing you need to do is make sure the app is not running and connected on the phone when you try the tablet; only one bluetooth connection at a time is possible. (With the WiFi connections, you can connect up to two devices).
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

Smartphone = Samsung Note5
Tablet = LG GPad VK815

With the tablet I have noticed that I cannot access the RCP and SoloStorm at the same time via bluetooth, so I assumed only one connection. And I need to close the RCP app on my phone in order for data to be pulled by SoloStorm on my tablet (following inline with what you stated).

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks.

So if I'm understanding what you're saying, if you only have the RaceCapture app running on the tablet, you can connect to RaceCapture/Pro over bluetooth?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

I cannot connect directly to the RCP over Bluetooth with the tablet.... however, my SoloStorm app (installed on the tablet) can communicate with the RCP over Bluetooth. It's weird.