Steering Wheel Push Button to advance screens on RCP Tablet

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

pstorms

Steering Wheel Push Button to advance screens on RCP Tablet

Post by pstorms »

Racers, I am finishing up a project to add a push button on the steering wheel to advance/change screens on the Race Capture Pro2 dash tablet. I have the concept working with a Bluetooth keyboard device that uses a push button. Parts list is fairly short and cheap. Once I have it confirmed to work with the latest Amazon Fire 7" Tablet, I'll report on the project. I'll send the project details, parts list and steps needed to make it work for you. If you're interested before I get the finished write up done, message me and I can send you the information and get you started on your way. Looks promising and works pretty slick. Once we have it fully mounted in the car, I'll add pictures for review.

There is a gotcha and the tablet you want to work with this must be compatible with Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) devices. I bought the Amazon Fire 7" tablet 4 months ago and it does not support Bluetooth LE, it works great with RCP, but not with LE devices. Amazon released a new Fire 7" tablet recently that does support LE, I have ordered it, but it has not arrived yet. The Bluetooth LE device that is based upon is the Adafruit Feather 32u4. You can read up on this here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... e/overview

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sounds cool; if you're using the BT LE device to simulate keyboard strokes then as you've probably figured out, the left / right keys will switch dashboard screens.

Looking forward to your write-up!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

pstorms

Post by pstorms »

brentp wrote:Sounds cool; if you're using the BT LE device to simulate keyboard strokes then as you've probably figured out, the left / right keys will switch dashboard screens.

Looking forward to your write-up!
Hey Brent.

I got the push button to work with a laptop running the Race Capture Application. When I connect via BTLE, the keyboard input that I have been using, works great, screens advance via the button press.

However, when I have the BT device connect to a tablet, the screens do not advance. Not sure why it works on the Laptop and not on a Tablet. As a side note, the Amazon Fire Tablet's, the latest one that was just released that is supposed to support BTLE, does not work as stated. I think there is an issue with the Amazon Fire 7" tablets and BTLE implementation. Apples iPads and iPhones work with BTLE in connecting. But the screens do not advance on them as well. Only with Laptops so far.

Any advice as to which keyboard code I need to leverage? I've tried many but with no success. Or, is there a way to add into the Race Capture application to utilize the left arrow key to change screens with tablets?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Patrick, thanks for the update.

Have you tried it with a standard bluetooth keyboard connected to the Android device?

Also, did you mean that the iOS app does work correctly with your BTLE device?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

pstorms

Post by pstorms »

brentp wrote:Hi Patrick, thanks for the update.

Have you tried it with a standard bluetooth keyboard connected to the Android device?

Also, did you mean that the iOS app does work correctly with your BTLE device?
Brent,

First, sorry about the confusion. To answer your questions, I'll take the last one first. "No" the iOS app does not work as expected. The keyboard BTLE device does connect via BlueTooth which is great, but the screens do not advance as they do when connected to a laptop. Appears that the Apple iPAD supports BTLE properly and the Amazon Fire Tablet does not.

First question, I connected a standard bluetooth logitech keyboard to an iPAD. When I open the NOTES app the keyboard functions as expected. Arrow keys work moving the cursor around the screen/document. When I launch Race Capture, the arrow keys do not change between screens.

I have not attached my push button controller to an Android device as I only have the Amazon Fire 7" and it does not support BTLE as stated. That's another issue that I need to report to Amazon on their product.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, we will acquire a bluetooth keyboard and test. If you have a specific exact model number to recommend (the Logitech you have) link it here and we'll get that one if we can.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

pstorms

Post by pstorms »

brentp wrote:Hi, we will acquire a bluetooth keyboard and test. If you have a specific exact model number to recommend (the Logitech you have) link it here and we'll get that one if we can.

Thanks,
I have an older model Logitech keyboard. But this is the newer version of it at BestBuy.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/log ... 59706.aspx?

I could also create a BLTE button press device and ship it to you? You can test with it as well.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the link - I'll look around on Amazon as well. No need to ship us any hardware. :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I think I'll be testing with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Bluetooth- ... oard&psc=1

pstorms

Post by pstorms »

brentp wrote:I think I'll be testing with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Bluetooth- ... oard&psc=1
Great price. I may have to order one myself.
:wink:

pstorms

Post by pstorms »

I have opened a case with Amazon support and am getting them to research the issue with BlueTooth Low Energy Keyboards. BTLE. Just to recap, Apple iPADs support BTLE, Amazon Fire Tablets do not. Hopefully they can get this escalated and fixed. I may try a Samsung Android tablet just for giggles.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Keyboard ordered!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

pstorms

Post by pstorms »

brentp wrote:Keyboard ordered!
Hey Brent. Any luck yet? Have you been able to recreate the tablet/bluetooth keyboard situation?
ChumpCar Race Car #57
Castrol Double Dozen Aug 2016 - 13th and 10th place
Castrol Double Dozen Aug 2017 - 9th and 7th place, 1st place in class
1997 Mazda MX-6

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Nope, been busy with other priorities. Will try to test this weekend.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, I just tested the Anker keyboard with the app. The arrow keys successfully switch dashboard screens, and ESC backs out of the current page.

I'll work to post a video of it when I can get the main tablet charged.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter