RCP 3 GSM Add-on

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

HangLooseRacing

RCP 3 GSM Add-on

Post by HangLooseRacing »

Hoping this is the correct sub forum to ask this. When we purchased our RaceCapturePro MK3 we did not intend to have GSM due to the added monthly cost. Now we have seen the FreedomPOP option and would like to add GSM functionality to our unit. I see there is an upgrade option for the MK2 but do not see one for the MK3. I was wondering what the constraints are, and if this would be possible to add. I am very comfortable with soldering circuit boards if needed and have no issue making a couple of holes in the case if needed. If it can not be added to the internal board is there a way to wire up a separate unit to allow us to use GSM?

Thanks for the help, Loving the unit so far.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Unfortunately, RCP MK3 is designed to have the cellular option all on one board, so the base models are not upgradeable to 3.5G.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

HangLooseRacing

Post by HangLooseRacing »

brentp wrote:Hi,

Unfortunately, RCP MK3 is designed to have the cellular option all on one board, so the base models are not upgradeable to 3.5G.
Is there any way to upgrade without purchasing a new unit? Or would a WiFi hotspot be our best bet?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry, we don't offer an upgrade path.

You can very easily broadcast telemetry using the RaceCapture app, so long as the app is running on a device that has internet access, such as a phone or tablet + hotspot.

Instructions: https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... _Telemetry

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter