Porsche 991 Cup - Live Telemetry from Cosworth Sigma Elite

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

marklekeny

Porsche 991 Cup - Live Telemetry from Cosworth Sigma Elite

Post by marklekeny »

Hi All!

I have a few questions/problems and I hope a possible solution will come up for them. :) We currently own a Porsche 991 Cup car and I am trying to get live telemetry during our Endurance races. Since we are operating this single car, I am trying to avoid the full-professional 10-20k systems with direct transmission and I came across RaceCapture and RealTime telemetry.

My problem arises that the car is already equipped with an on-board factory telemetry system from Cosworth with data loggers, dash, etc.. therefore installing the RaceCapture data-logger is tricky.

Two solutions came into my mind. Firstly, is it possible to wire the built-in sensors of the car to two separate data-logging systems, therefore I am able to keep the factory one that communicates with my dashboard and also able to stream the data online using RaceCapture?

Secondly, the Cosworth Sigma Elite data logger that is equipped in the car is transmitting the data to our computer through an ethernet cable if we are in the pit lane and the cable is connected. Out of curiosity, is it completely impossible to connect this ethernet cable to the RealTime module, that then uploads the information online? My concern is that the data it transmits from the Cosworth module won't be readable by the online software of RaceCapture.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi marklekeny,

thanks for the ping and apologies for the late reply.

Some quick answers.

While in principal we don't recommend piggy-backing sensors, the input impedance on MK2 is about 1 Mega ohm, so they should not affect the signal.

The best way to integrate with an existing system is via CAN bus - either ECU or other data acquisition system. If the CAN bus protocol is known, the data packets can be transformed into virtual channels and broadcast out via telemetry. Your Cosworth data system very likely has a CAN bus that can be interfaced with.

For ethernet - we don't support that, sorry. your best bet for integration is the CAN bus, as described above.

Let us know if we can help further.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter