Verizon Data for Telemetry

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

rex-racer

Verizon Data for Telemetry

Post by rex-racer »

Has anyone got a Verizon sim card working in the Tele box? I notice there is not a default config for this. My buddy, who is running the 25 hours of Thunderhill in Dec. is a Verizon customer and he states this is the only real coverage at the track.

If someone has this working, can you share the type of plan, how the card has to be configured and the APN settings please.

Thanks
Jay
A Race Car exists in 2 states: Broken or in the process of becoming that way.

DLM17

Post by DLM17 »

Hi, I am the buddy that is referenced in the above post. I recently purchased the Race Capture Apex Tele system. There is a Verizon tower at the race track that I was hoping to utilize however Verizon uses CDMA, not GSM.

Will CDMA work with my system?
Thanks,

Scott

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

The internal telemetry module is GSM only. However, there's good news: you can live-stream telemetry using Verizon via the RaceCapture app running on a Verizon device.

Instructions here:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... _telemetry

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

DLM17

Post by DLM17 »

Brent, When you say a Verizon device what type of device? Cell phone? Lap Top? Tablet?

Can I tether the RCP to a verizon cell phone that has RCP installed on it?

Or can I tether to a tablet and then wifi to the Verizon Jet pack I already have?

Scott
Thanks,

Scott

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Correct. If the RaceCapture app is running on a device we support (Android, windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi, iOS, Amazon Fire tablet, OS X) and that device has access to the internet, then it can live-stream data.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

DLM17

Post by DLM17 »

Brent,

Which one of my options is correct? All of them?

I ran the system with the AT&T sim card and it did work however, since the cell signal is week at our local track, it dropped out on the back side of the track. I need a way to get the data to my Verizon Jet Pack, or to the Verizon cell tower that is at out local track.
Thanks,

Scott

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - Yes, every single scenario you listed will work.

The typical Verizon setup for RaceCapture is:

* An android verizon phone running the RaceCapture app;
* Or, a tablet that can get on the internet with a separate Verizon hotspot.

As before, all that's required is the RaceCapture app can access the internet somehow. You could also strap a windows desktop PC into the car and run the RaceCapture app on that with a verizon hotspot. But only do that if you need to add ballast. :)

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rex-racer

Post by rex-racer »

So I was reading about this last night (helping Scott set this up) and read that some older devices don't like to use their internal sim card while a wi-fi network is connected. Newer phones don't have this issue. So my question is what constitutes a newer/older phone? We both have iphone 6s.
A Race Car exists in 2 states: Broken or in the process of becoming that way.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you're using a WiFi interface to connect to RaceCapture, you can do it this way:

Android Phone:
* Set up the phone to have a hot spot. Configure RaceCapture to connect to this hotspot via it's WiFi settings.
* RaceCapture app running on phone will receive data via hotspot connection, then it will have access to the internet via cell connection and send the data to Podium.

Tablet / using common hotspot:
* Set up RaceCapture wifi client to connect to the common hotspot.
* Set up the Tablet to common hotspot.
* RaceCapture app will receive telemetry data via RaceCapture connected to hotspot, then send it on to Podium.

Because phone hotspot software can be flaky - if you ever observed them disabling / turning off spontaneously, you'll know what I mean - I recommend the 2nd scenario above.

As always, we highly recommend using the internal SIM with AT&T (Or FreedomPop which is based on AT&T network) wherever the track has good AT&T coverage - because it's built-in and just automatically works, it's always the more robust option.

Hope this helps,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

DLM17

Post by DLM17 »

Brent,

We spent several hours at the track trying to make my Iphone communicate with the Tele box through WiFi and then communicate with the internet through a hot spot, maybe that was not the correct way to do it.
Thanks,

Scott

DLM17

Post by DLM17 »

The best result that we had was tethering (Cable) the tele box to my lap top. Then my lap top could WiFi to the Jet Pack.
Thanks,

Scott

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

For the WiFi connected scenario, using the hotspot as a common WiFi router for all of the devices is definitely the most robust option.

The easiest way to setup RaceCapture's WiFi client is by using a PC connected over USB. After configuring the WiFi client settings under Setup, you can verify the WiFi status by looking at the System Status page.

If you have a RaceCapture/Pro, you can also connect an android phone over bluetooth, which is another robust alternative.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

DLM17

Post by DLM17 »

We did try the blue tooth with poor success. Again I am using a iPhone though.
Thanks,

Scott

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Unfortunately, iOS does not support (nor will ever support) the high speed Bluetooth interface due to Apple's Bluetooth connectivity policy.

Since you have a Bluetooth interface on your RaceCapture system, your best option for Verizon data would be:

* A Verizon Android phone with Bluetooth
* A tablet (e.g. Amazon Fire 8 ) connected via Bluetooth to RaceCapture, and broadcasting via a WiFi Hotspot.

Setup guide for reference:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... _Telemetry
Last edited by brentp on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

DLM17

Post by DLM17 »

OK, That makes sense.

Thanks for all of your help!!
Thanks,

Scott