Site Admin

FreedomPop $ZERO/month plan works with RaceCapture telemetry

Post by brentp »

Kind of a big deal. Details in our blog post:

https://www.autosportlabs.com/freedompo ... telemetry/
Attachments
freedom_pop_sim_free_200MB_GSM_data_plan.png
freedom_pop_sim_free_200MB_GSM_data_plan.png (528.56 KiB) Viewed 34175 times
Last edited by brentp on Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

Somewhat related, but I use FreedomPop for my cell phone. I have had it for nearly two years now and it has been a pretty good service. The one thing I will caution is that if you ever need support from them, good luck. But, you get what you pay for!

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

Will it work with an older 2.5g Mk2 unit?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

It will not, because Freedom Pop uses the AT&T network, and they dropped 2.5G quite a while ago. T-Mobile is your best option for 2.5G.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

ppressle

$12/GB and $0/month sim option using XFinity/Verizon.

Post by ppressle »

One other option to consider is the XFinity mobile for $12/MB if you already have a Comcast account of any type.
I did have to mess with the APN settings a bit to get it to connect, but it seems to work in my Nexus 7 tablet. I also had to have an old IPhone to get them to give me the Sim card.

Freedom pop did not have any signal at Thunderhill which makes is a non starter. XFinity is using the Verizon network, which is the carrier of choice at Thunderhill.

Anyway, the $12/gm only when I use it seems to be a good option for the race car telemetry.

Pete

kwenzel

Post by kwenzel »

I just tried to get a GSM SIM from Freedom Pop, and it doesn't look like they offer them any more - they all show out of stock (as opposed to the LTE 0.01 SIM deal, which is still active). I pinged them to ask about it and got back:

"We really wish we could offer them, however, we no longer offer Global SIM cards after our transition to the 4G LTE network. "

So I guess I'll head to an AT&T store!
Kevin Wenzel
[email protected]

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the note. The freedomPop solution was for domestic markets only; the SIM card works on the AT&T network which is compatible with 4G and 3G systems. You should be able to use the standard freedompop SIM: https://www.freedompop.com/sim-card

And then just downgrade to 'Basic/Free' after activating.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

kwenzel

Post by kwenzel »

Thanks Brent - so to clarify, you're saying the LTE SIM that they still offer will work in the RCP3? I'm slightly confused by the Telemetry wiki page which reads:

"Let them know that your device does not support 4G LTE (it's a 3.5G module)"

...or am I confused about the cell terminology, and 4G (non-LTE) is what you mean by 3.5G? The coverage map on the FP page you linked to shows both types of coverage.
Kevin Wenzel
[email protected]

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, it should support both. It's a function of what the network supports - in this case, FP is a MVNO for AT&T.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

kwenzel

Post by kwenzel »

Ok - thanks for the fast replies, Brent! I've ordered one. You might want to update the Telemetry page to point out more explicitly that even though FP won't give you a GSM SIM any more, their 4G SIM works.
Kevin Wenzel
[email protected]

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sure. I struck that from the guide since it was confusing. Can you update here when you get your FP sim to confirm?

Also, when you register, be sure to downgrade to 'basic $0' (if that's what you want) - clicking through the warning messages. Your total monthly bill should be $0/month under their invoices page.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mikesmith

Post by mikesmith »

brentp wrote:Also, when you register, be sure to downgrade to 'basic $0' (if that's what you want) - clicking through the warning messages. Your total monthly bill should be $0/month under their invoices page.
It looks like they want you to cough up $20 to do this now.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 8.29.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 8.29.34 PM.png (84.48 KiB) Viewed 34114 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That's right. They described it to me, and it makes sense, although complicated. There is a condition where a data overage could happen, and due to their relationship with AT&T as the MVNO, they could not catch it fast enough to bill for that overage. So they need a buffer in the customer's account to catch that.

Without this buffer, they were losing money in an unacceptable rate.

Still, having the $20 account buffer in there and then $0/month thereafter still seems like a good deal.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

a351cobra

Post by a351cobra »

So, if reading this correctly, Freedom Pop Sim card will not work for MK2. T-Mobile still best bet?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

RCP MK2 came with two cellular variants. 2G and 33, later on.

The 3G will currently work with FreedomPop, as it is based on AT&T. Eventually AT&T will stop supporting 3G.

AT&T no longer supports 2G, so the only option for 2G is T-Mobile, until T-Mobile drops 2G support.

You can check your cellular modem type by looking at the log under Setup / Telemetry.

If you see a mention of SIM900 - that is 2G. "ublox SARA.." - that is 3G.

Hope this helps,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter