3.5G Telemetry Issues

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

turb0mik3

3.5G Telemetry Issues

Post by turb0mik3 »

Hello Brent,

Had our Mk3 3.5G race capture set up for this previous weekend's event at Buttonwillow Raceway. Everything was installed correctly and we received data via USB connection. However, when we attempted to go wireless (read through tutorials for about hours), the signal was not picked up. We purchased the Freedom PoP and installed as in the directions... Custom APN --> leave un and pw blank --> "write." We waited for about 10 minutes as the feed (on the top of the race capture app) was reading "comm 1," " comm 2," etc but still did not connect. We were using a Windows 10 Surface Pro.

I read somewhere that it too a guy 40+ minutes to connect but would appreciate help with the troubleshooting process, thanks.

EDIT: we also do not have the "cellular" tab option on the racecapture app.

Mike

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for posting- let's get this sorted out.

First, you'll want to make sure the cellular setting is turned 'on' under wireless, and then ensure the freedom pop APN settings are set correctly. We have it in this blog post: https://www.autosportlabs.com/freedompo ... telemetry/

Set the APN name to: fp.com.attz
User and password should be left blank.

You also need to add your Podium Device ID under telemetry settings, provided by your account at http://podium.live.

Once you set all of these options, write the settings back to RaceCapture/Pro, then give the box a power cycle.

Make sure the cellular antenna is connected, and watch for when the telemetry LED starts flashing, and also watch for an event to pop up under http://podium.live/home.

We also have a step-by-step guide that covers the above, here: https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... _telemetry
Attachments
FP_cellular_settings.png
FP_cellular_settings.png (61.3 KiB) Viewed 4235 times

turb0mik3

Post by turb0mik3 »

Thank you for the reply Brent. I solved part of the issue (didn't put in Telemetry ID accurately) as I now have a blinking blue "Telemetry" LED on the Mk3 device in the car. When the USB is not connected the red "CAN" and blue "Telemetry" alternate blinking for about 3 seconds and then simultaneously blink for about 3 seconds and then back to separate in a pattern. The green GPS LED is a slow constant blink. Also, when the USB is not connected I receive a "SEARCHING COM1" changes to COM2 and so forth followed by "Connecting..." for a second and then back to the "SEARCHING COM7" etc. Please advise!

EDIT: also, the SIM card appears to be transferring data as I have a data history from when we turn on the car etc etc.

Mike

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Sounds like you are close.

Just try power cycling RCP without USB connected (powered via 12v) and then watch for the blue telemetry LED to start blinking regularly.

When it does, check your Podium account for an "Ad Hoc Event" at http://podium.live/home - if you see an event there, click that and navigate to your dashboard.

Let us know how it goes!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

turb0mik3

Post by turb0mik3 »

So I did go to Podium and the GPS is working correctly with location etc etc. I was under the impression that we could receive OBD2 data from the Mk3 as in live RPM, Oil temp, IATs, Fuel Levels, etc on the fly. Or is Podium just used for GPS and no other LIVE data.
Last edited by turb0mik3 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Great that it is working.

Any data channes configured in the system will show up in telemetry, including OBDII.

You can go into OBDII, make sure it is turned on, and add one channel, say RPM.

Add the channel, then 'write' it back to RCP. You can verify RPM shows up in the RaceCapture dashbard; and when you refresh your telemetry page, you should see that RPM is showing up as well.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

turb0mik3

Post by turb0mik3 »

Hi Brent,

Everything is working now. I was under the assumption that the racecapture app was supposed to work via the 3.5G connection, but it is just for loading parameters into the racecapture box which then transmits via podium; makes total sense now haha.

Last question: Most of the live data (RPM, speed, IAT, Engine temp) is working fine but the Oil temp and Fuel pressure do not update real time. Is there a suggested Hz setting for these readings? How can I troubleshoot that issue. Thanks!

Michael

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Max telemetry rate is 10Hz - make sure you have those channels set to 10Hz as well in the RaceCapture configuration. You can also watch the dashboard in the RaceCapture app and compare it against your telemetry view to observe the response.

Are these direct analog channels or OBDII channels? If OBDII, what year/make/model is the car? Some older OBDII protocols simply have low performance based on the fundamental design of their interface.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter