FreedomPop hidden charges

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

knate

FreedomPop hidden charges

Post by knate »

All-

I signed up for a "100% Free" FreedomPop SIM card. Then after I got the card, I deactivated the "Premiere Plan" they automatically signed me up for, only to find I had to pay $15 to do so. Then days later I got a charge for Premiere again, only to find that even though I had the free plan, they automatically added Premiere as a "Service". Their tech support told me how to deactivate this service, which then automatically charged me for a data rollover plan. Finally after deactivating that, I have no services showing.

So for me "Free" internet, I have now paid:
Initial Signup: $16.98
Switching to free plan: $15.00
Premiere "Service": $7.99
Data Rollover: $3.99
------------------------------------------------
Total: $43.96

I hope this is the end of it, because I have only used a couple megabytes of data so far. This is why I was trying to get my Project Fi card to work, which would have cost me almost nothing.

So if you are planning on getting a FreedomPop card, just be aware of all of the hidden charges. Make sure you deactivate all "services", by going to the bottom right of the service window and clicking "deactivate".

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the note. Yes, you want to make sure you go into your billing page to confirm that your next bill is actually $0 - and if not, remove services until it does so.

Yes, they make you jump through hoops before you get the $0 free plan. After that, it is $0 for the service, up to the data limit for the month.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter