Telemetry via wifi and app not working

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

onthebeach7350

Telemetry via wifi and app not working

Post by onthebeach7350 »

Hello,

I use till now a RCP3 v1.12.1 with the integrated telemetry with an internal sim card. It just works fine.

Now I installed a wifi hotspot in the car as I also want to stream video with a YI 4K+ camera.

In order to use the same sim card for the video and the RCP data streaming, I removed the sim card from the RCP 3 and inserted it in the hotspot in order to send the RCP3 telemetry via this wifi hotspot together with the video from the camera.

I have thus in the RCP3:
- disabled the on-board cellular module.
- disabled the wifi module as I connect to the tablet through BT.
- enabled the background streaming in the telemetry config.
- enabled the "Send telemetry" option in the preferences.

I thus believe that everything is correct....but the RCP3 does not send the telemetry.
On the tablet in the upper right part of the screen it says that it connects to Podium but no data arrives in the podium site.
The internet connection via the hotspot works as I can browse the web on the tablet through the hotspot.
In the system status, the telemetry stays "Idle".

What am I doing wrong?

Another question:
Is it possible to connect directly the RCP3 to the wifi hotspot and thus stream directly without the RC app on the tablet?

And last one:
What is the use of the wifi access point mode?
Originally I thought I could connect my YI cam directly to the RCP3 to stream the video through ht integrated telemetry module but it did not work.
So what is the purpose of the access point mode?

Regards.

François

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

In order to broadcast telemetry via a common hotspot, you will need to do it via the RaceCapture app. It is not possible for the RaceCapture/Pro to stream to Podium directly via WiFi. Client and access point modes are provided for connection flexibility, for example, connecting an iPad via the WiFi access point on RaceCapture/Pro.

Steps to send telemetry via hotspot:

* Configure the tablet to connect to the common hotspot
* Configure RaceCapture's WiFi client to connect to the common hotspot
* Disable the cellular module under wireless settings
* Enable "Send Telemetry" in the app
* Ensure you have the telemeetry device ID set in the raceCapture configuration.

Write all of the updated settings and power cycle.

The RaceCapture app on the tablet will connect to RaceCapture/Pro via the common hotspot. Then, the RaceCapture app itself will broadcast telemetry to Podium. You can see this by seeing the green cloud icon in the upper right of the RaceCapture app screen.

We hope this helps !
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

onthebeach7350

Post by onthebeach7350 »

Brent,

Thanks for your reply.
I did it as described except that the tablet is connected to the RCP Pro through BT and not wifi.
And it does not stream. Normal?

Do I really have to connect the tablet and RCP Pro only though Wifi to achieve this?

Thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You can stream using bluetooth as well. This is the classic approach using the app based streaming.

When you have "send telemetry enabled in the app", and you are connected to RaceCapture/Pro, what color is the cloud icon in the upper right corner?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter