FreedomPop - Unable to Join Network

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

Sawdust

FreedomPop - Unable to Join Network

Post by Sawdust »

Hi Brent,

For the past few weeks my RCP3 refuses to connect to telemetry. Up until now, I've had no issues using the FreedomPop $0 SIM. I make sure and bench (PC) connect the device every few weeks to keep my account from going dormant, but even if it does, never had an issue since it reactivates when I log into their site.

I've confirmed that my SIM and account are still active via the FP website. My runs last year were with firmware 2.16.0, 2.17.2 and 2.17.4. Over the winter I updated to 2.17.8 and was able to connect telemetry. My last connection was 4/22/2020 and I haven't been able to connect since then.

Polling the debug log I see the following (snipped) messages:

Code: Select all

[Conn task] not connected. retrying
[gsm] powering off cellular module
[gsm] power off response: false
[cell] Power cycling modem
[cell] Resetting modem...
[cell] Auto-baud configuration
[Conn task] not connected. retrying
[gsm] powering off cellular module
[gsm] power off response: false
[cell] auto-baud successful
[cell] manufacturer is u-blox

[cell] model is SARA-U201

[cell] Loading driver for UBlox Sara U2
[cell] Phone number not available
[gsm] signal strength rssi: 99
[gsm] signal strength rssi: 20
[gsm] signal strength rssi: 20
[cell] Unexpected reply. Backing off...
[cell] Unexpected reply. Backing off...
I've tried to downgrade to 2.17.2 and 2.17.4 and still get the same messages.

As you know, FreedomPop won't offer e-mail support without a monthly fee for our $0 SIMs. My Community post to their Tech Support has been pending approval for 5 days. I even added Top-Up Credit since I saw that was mentioned in another post.

UPDATE: FreedomPop responding to my post, only saying that my account was active, current and in good standing. They sent the standard how to set up your phone doc, but nothing helpful. Ordered a Google Fi data only card and will give that a try next...

Before I resort to paying them for a support question, is there any way to find out what is the Unexpected Reply that RCP3 is receiving?

Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Just a quick update...

FreedomPop Support followed up and escalated my ticket that their Community group created for me. Their Dev Team acknowledged that there was an issue on their side and they reset my account. Now my RCP connects, transmits telemetry and an ad-hoc event was created on the Podium website.