Sensors with resistance outputs

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

Here are the data I have

One is from the data with engine not running
two is with the engine running
and the last one is the calibration I made.

Of course the car puts up more voltage when it runs, but it seems to only affect the RCP and not the physical gauges. The RCP is wired directly to the battery so that it does not shut down when I turn off the power to the car.
Attachments
No engine.png
No engine.png (73.62 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
With Engine.png
With Engine.png (76.48 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Input.png
Input.png (55.79 KiB) Viewed 2429 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Since you're running 12v gauges your reference voltage changes when the car is on (~13.6-14.4v) vs off (11-12v)

You'll want to re-measure everything while engine is running so you get the correct calibration voltage.

In contrast - when you're using a dedicated sensor, you would use a constant reference voltage that is the 5v output from RaceCapture/Pro. This 5v is constant regardless of engine running state.

You can see a wiring diagram of a dedicated sensor connected to the 5v reference here:
http://autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro ... ure_Sensor

Hope this helps.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

You say you're wired to the battery, but battery voltage displays 4.5V? Sounds like you're running from a USB adapter instead of +12V right to the RCP?
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC

PopKorn78

Post by PopKorn78 »

Yep, when I took the screen shot I was on USB