Tapping existing Tach line

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

TheArchBish

Tapping existing Tach line

Post by TheArchBish »

I'm new to this so bear with me. I have an MSD 6AL Ignition Controller and it outputs a tach line - delivers 12V square wave. Can I tap directly in to this for RPM on RCP or do I need some sort of resistor to reduce voltage down to 5V.

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

I have an MSD tach adapter that outputs the same signal, a 12 volt square wave. When I asked Brent he said it should be fine since the inputs are protected. I haven't been able to get a signal from it though. Brent did say he ordered a tach adapter to test with, but I haven't heard if he had any luck with it.

TheArchBish

Post by TheArchBish »

Thanks for the info. As its protected I think my best bet might be to take the Tach signal directly from the 12v square wave off the MSD ignition controller. It worked with my old ChaseCam logger. I was just worried about the 12v v 5v mismatch.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi TheArchBish -

Yes, we ordered the MSD tach adapter recently and we have it on our test bench to evaluate the signal. It wasn't clear to us if it supplies a clean 12v or 5v square wave, so that's why we were curious.

Do you have an MK1 or MK2 RCP? for MK1 the recent 2.7.7 firmware addresses a pretty big RPM bug that people were experiencing; so if you have an MK1 you definitely want to update.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

TheArchBish

Post by TheArchBish »

Brent. Mine is a Mk2 with the latest firmware.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Go ahead and connect straight to the clean 12v MSD 6AL tach line let us know how it goes. Note, you may have to play with the "pulse per revolution" settings in the firmware to dial in the RPM calibration.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mattik

Post by Mattik »

How did it turnout, does it work with tacho signal from Msd to RCP?

We currently instaling Rcp to Drag car trying to sort out how to get rpm signal to RCP.

Will it work with CoilX connected to the Coil as the MSd gives multiple sparks per ignition?

TheArchBish

Post by TheArchBish »

Yeah worked fine. Only issue I have experienced is if you shut off the engine it tends to "stick" at the last running RPM. However once the engine starts again it all works again.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thank for the update.

Please try updating to 2.9.0 firmware - we fixed the stuck RPM issue as well as introduced a noise filter to help eliminate RPM spikes.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

HollyJuster

Post by HollyJuster »

Hi i am new user here and by profession i am a hardware design engineer. I think my best bet might be to take the Tach signal directly from the 12v square wave off the MSD ignition controller. It worked with my old ChaseCam logger. I was just worried about the 12v v 5v mismatch.Go ahead and connect straight to the clean 12v MSD 6AL tach line let us know how it goes. Note, you may have to play with the "pulse per revolution" settings in the firmware to dial in the RPM calibration.

turnkey pcb assembly

viya0414

Post by viya0414 »

Only issue I have experienced is if you shut off the engine it tends to "stick" at the last running RPM. However once the engine starts again it all works again.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Note; the latest firmware release should handle the sticking RPM value if the wire is disconnected.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter