Splitting TPS Signal between ECU and RCP2 - possible?

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

smallspeed

Splitting TPS Signal between ECU and RCP2 - possible?

Post by smallspeed »

I have a car with a cranky old-school stand alone ECU which is great, EXCEPT it doesn't talk CAN! It does have a 0-5v throttle position sensor though..

I've been warned splitting signals from analogue sensors causes issues with the values (for example fuel level sender), so... I was wandering if anyone can tell me (maybe they have experience) whether its possible to take the Signal wire from the TPS and split it so it still goes to the ECU, but also goes into RCP2 as an analogue input?

I'm reluctant to try it in case it screws the signal up to the ECU, but at the same time it would be better (if this would work) than trying to add a second TPS somewhere in the car as this might be tricky!

Hope someone can help, and apologies if its a totally dumb question

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

Should be no harm. Just take only the signal wire and leave the power/ground alone.

I've done it to 3 of my sensors (including TPS) on my modern car and the ECU doesnt complain. Only issue with mine is my ecu uses a different reference voltage offset so I had to scale the sensors myself using know values and raw voltage values.

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

awesome that's great news! will give it a go..
its easy enough to calibrate as it is a standard BMW linear 0-5v sensor, so can set full / zero throttle positions and draw a straight line, I just didn't want to cause the signal to half or something crazy!

my old (dos based) ECU works nicely but I don't want to give it a reason to crap-out :lol: