finally got a TACH signal... but..

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

From my understanding, it's doubtful it would be needed for measuring RPM, but it could always be added later.

The reason why you need 0.5 pulse per revolution is that your coil fires once per 4 combustion cycles, with individual coil packs. As far as I know, there isn't an ignition system combination that would fire less frequently than that across the 4-cycle internal combustion engine set up.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

bahnstormer

Post by bahnstormer »

ahh ok cool.

When is the update being released?

Thank you,

Johnathan

bahnstormer

Post by bahnstormer »

Brent,

When is the update being released? We need the tach working for the weekend. Please update this forum with the link to the newest release.

Thank you,
J

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

The solution for this is a change in the app, and we'll have it in the next app release. We won't have it available by this weekend, but - there's a way for you to be able to set it behind the scenes in the meantime: Here's how:

* Read your configuration and save it to a file
* Edit the file in a plain text editor and find the timerCfg section. You'll see something like this:

Code: Select all

"timerCfg": {
      "0": {
        "alpha": 1.0,
        "max": 8000,
        "min": 0,
        "mode": 0,
        "nm": "RPM",
        "ppr": 1,
        "prec": 0,
        "speed": 1,
        "sr": 0,
        "st": 0,
        "ut": "rpm"
      },
Note the "0" following timerCfg - this corresponds to the first timer channel; "1" is the 2nd, and "2" is the 3rd.

Find where it says

"ppr": 1

Change this to be:

"ppr": 0.5

This will set it to 0.5 pulse per revolutions.

Save the configuration file. Load this updated file into the app, and then write it back to the unit.

You should see the change reflected in the RaceCapture dashboard.

Thanks, Let us know if that works for you!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

davef_dci

Post by davef_dci »

if I put it on 1 it shows 660 at idle, the engine idles at 1300. At the limiter 6500 it shows 2700rom. Everytime I go up it splits the number in half.

Just pointing out that 2700 isn't 1/2 of 6500 right? Might have been a typo but i thought I'd point it out in case you're waiting for a fix that's not going to solve your problem.

-d

bahnstormer

Post by bahnstormer »

Brent, thank you. I will give that a shot.

Dave, I agree. Some where I recall reading about the "slow", "medium", and "fast" response and how it changes accuracy at different RPM. That is what im blaming the difference there on.

I will update and report back,

Thank you.

J

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The slow / medium / fast changes the clock speed of the timer which affects how fast or slow of a pulse it can read. You can select the option that works best for your needs. Usually Medium is what people use for measuring engine RPM.

Let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter