DIY cheap wireless 16 zone tire temp sensor

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

MagnusT

DIY cheap wireless 16 zone tire temp sensor

Post by MagnusT »

This is a build-it-yourself open source 16 zone IR tire temp sensor / distance sensor. It's completely wireless and transmits all data over Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Source code is open source - all working, finalized, done and dusted - hardware is of the shelf boards and files to 3D print an enclosure is in the works. The two main mobile phone logger apps Harry's Laptimer and Racechrono are both well on their way adding support (see video of running beta below)

Question: Is the wifi suppport in the Autosport products only for communication with display apps or can sensors transmit data to be logged over wifi too? Since the products only support Bluetooth 2 and not newer BLE that is not an option. For wired sensors IZZE's CAN bus sensors are a great choice of course. Just checking if I could make data wireless to Autosport loggers in addition the Racechrono and Harry's laptimer phone logger apps, that would be cool.

Downloadable source code, parts list, step by step guides https://github.com/MagnusThome/RejsaRubberTrac

This is a beta of Harry's Laptimer:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, cool project!

The WiFi connectivity is specifically for supporting the app's connectivity to the RaceCapture device, we don't use it for sensor integration.

You should consider adding a CAN bus interface to your project; this would make it much more automotive/race-car grade and highly robust. Then, it can tap into RaceCapture's existing CAN bus interface (and many other systems) and everything else will work very well.

Plus, you'll be able to transmit data at a much faster rate than BLE can support.

Side note, we purposely don't support BLE due to the low speed of the protocol - it cannot keep up with our telemetry stream.

In any case, nice job on the project!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

PrideList

Post by PrideList »

Great job. I'd like to try this myself.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Good news - we are readying pre-orders for TireX - a ruggedized CAN bus enabled multi-zone tire temperature sensor that will work with RaceCapture:

https://www.autosportlabs.com/tirex_pre ... ting_soon/
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Evolution-VII

Re: DIY cheap wireless 16 zone tire temp sensor

Post by Evolution-VII »

What about brake temperature sensor?

All melexis FIR (far infrared sensors) I have found reads up to 300°C.

I've found the Izze Racing model reads up to 950°C with 16 zones.

Does anybody know one model that I could make a DIY version for brake temperature purposes?