Hello from Virginia

Post here to say hello! Tell us what you drive, what race series you participate in and how you want to use Race Capture to help you go faster. Pics extra welcome!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

XeNoMoRpH

Hello from Virginia

Post by XeNoMoRpH »

Hello all,

I recently picked up the RCP 2 and will be working towards getting that operating with my MS2v3. That will be interesting. For my background, I drive a '94 Miata. I am working towards running TT with NASA (currently in HPDE3) and run in NASA-X (autocross) whenever they have an event, plus the random TT here and there.

Anyway, I have a MS to run the ITB setup in my Miata. My intention is to also run a digital dash via a Windows Tablet. I think it is all do-able with the CANbus stuff being the most challenging. I look forward to learning more about what can be done.

-Michael
Attachments
rsz_62miata.jpg
rsz_62miata.jpg (35.82 KiB) Viewed 11000 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, thank you for the intro! The app should work well with a windows tablet - you should be able to link a COM port to the bluetooth adapter and have the app communicate with RCP that way.

Do you have a Megasquirt with CAN bus enabled? That should be a fairly straightforward integration -something we were going to take on ourself, but if you beat us to it we'd love to get it in our library of integrations :)

Keep us posted on your progress!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

XeNoMoRpH

Post by XeNoMoRpH »

I have the MS2v3 which internally is suppose to use CAN bus (from all my research), but I do not have any output that I am aware of. I'll have to crack it open and verify if that is the case. Assuming it is, then I need to figure out how to get that output.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Let us know what you find out - we're planning on documenting MS - RCP via CAN integration as part of our ECU integration efforts.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

brentp wrote:Let us know what you find out - we're planning on documenting MS - RCP via CAN integration as part of our ECU integration efforts.
A good starting point here - http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... ggers.html at least in terms of who else is supporting what over CAN. I've got lots of reading to do... I hadn't thought of tying our MS3 in with the RCP, other than both using 12V power.

Active discussion with MSExtra developers here -
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 25&t=56880

Several PDF docs on CAN in here - http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC

XeNoMoRpH

Post by XeNoMoRpH »

One thing I learned is the realtime broadcasting is only in firmware 3.4.x which is currently in alpha at the moment, otherwise the RaceCapture would have to constantly request that information (from my research). It seems it is best to wait for 3.4.x to be released.

In other news, I looked at my MS2v3 and it has CANH and CANL on a board which connects to a relay board via some jumpers. Supposedly, the CANH and CANL should be pin 3 and 4 on the DB37 connector. On my harness, the colors match the internal coloring, but I think that is a coincidence since it goes to an actual wire on my Miata harness. I don't think my Miata would be interesting in CAN at the moment. I have to do some more digging I think...

Also, very good information here: http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/file ... -03-10.pdf
It shows all of the functions of the messages (group, offset, size, conversions, etc). That should be helpful in the future.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update - we can help with the MS integration and develop a script that will turn that data into RCP virtual channels. Exciting times ahead!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jpf11

Post by jpf11 »

I do nasa tt as well in VA, summit and vir. I am in TT2 driving a black mitsubishi eclipse. I will keep an eye out for you. Don't think I have seen your car yet but I only did 4 events last year.

XeNoMoRpH

Post by XeNoMoRpH »

jpf11 wrote:I do nasa tt as well in VA, summit and vir. I am in TT2 driving a black mitsubishi eclipse. I will keep an eye out for you. Don't think I have seen your car yet but I only did 4 events last year.
Very cool. I believe I have seen your car. Did you enter the UTTC? I remember that car being TTU. I am personally not in TT yet, so that may be one reason you haven't seen my car. I'm a bit unsure about the March event, but definitely after that.

XeNoMoRpH

Post by XeNoMoRpH »

For a minor update, pre-3.4 alpha 9 has been released. They say 3.4 will be released in 3-6 months. Right now, it seems the CAN stuff is working fine, so probably a good test candidate.

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

So for us MK1 people, all we need is the CANx expander board? That will let us grab broadcasts from the Megasquirt? At today's autocross event, I was thinking it's about time to get everything logged onto one SD card, and synchronized... And using RCP's GPS clock make more sense than adding a standalone realtime clock to the megasquirt just for logging.

Also the above MS link to CAN docs has moved, now found here - http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasqui ... adcast.pdf
------------

XeNoMoRpH

Post by XeNoMoRpH »

It looks like 3.4 has finally been released! I'm going to try it on my MS2 and hopefully start hooking up the RCP2.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Dashboard mode has been implemented here, with the common channels people are interested in:

http://autosportlabs.net/Megasquirt_CAN

toga94m,

Yes, you'll need the CANx module, and the same script will work.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

More catching up I need to do.. the above-referenced MS firmware 3.4 is for the MS2 board.. I've got MS3, which is a whole different code set, but I believe it's been broadcasting on CAN already. Latest release for the MS3 is presently 1.4 released July 9th 2015. http://www.msextra.com/downloads/
------------

XeNoMoRpH

Post by XeNoMoRpH »

I updated my MS2v3 to the 3.4 firmware. Now I have reached a point where I want to actually hook into the RCP2 and realized I don't know where to start. From my understanding, the MS has a CAN-L and CAN-H wire. Not sure how that works in relation to CANbus and a RJ-45 connector.