I just acquired a RaceCapture/Pro 2 (thanks Santa… or wife) for use in a Factory Five Racing 818 car I have been building. The goal is to get the car completed and to the track in the spring of 2016, and adding the datalogger is a nice touch.
The 818 is a Subaru powered, rear drive tube frame & composite body car that is assembled by the owner (normally). I (we’ve – my father in law and myself) have been working on this project since May 2014. We have a bastardized EJ205 from the donor with nearly 200K on the ODO! but when tested it was at 155-160 compression across all 4 cylinders. Likewise the transmission was checked by our shop when we installed a LSD, and everything was said to be in ‘good shape’.
The engine has been rebuilt with new oil and water pumps, a simplified cooling loop, replacement throttle body, upgraded intercooler, a VF39 turbo and long header intake from an older JDM STI. At the dyno tune it made 225 HP @ 18lbs boost at redline, with 140 MPH indicated. We did encounter some issues with the intake temperature, timing & advance and oil temperature & pressure. Some additional work has been done to address these points (oil cooler, remote filter, and more air handling on the IC).
So, that brings me to today:
The RaceCapture/Pro 2 has been installed behind the dash close but not exactly centered in the car. I had also considered installing under the seat, but dash is easier to wire; maybe later I could relocate it to the floor of the center tunnel later. The Bluetooth transceiver is attached under the logger to the shelf.
I’ve run the 12v from a 6 position accessory fuse box in the passenger foot-well area. I’ll run a second line from that fuse box for hard wire an el-cheap-o Kindle Fire tablet next.
I’ve tapped the 3 existing sensors/gauges I had installed: boost/manifold pressure, oil temperature, oil pressure. I am working to insure these work properly now that they’ve been added as analog inputs to the RaceCapture/Pro 2 while keeping the dedicated gauges on the dash.
I have added 2 500 PSI pressure transducers I have Tee’d off the dual brake master cylinders. It will be interesting to see brake pressure & bias front to rear.
Because the logger will be behind the dash I’ve added a latching Vandal switch to my switch panel that connects to the first digital I/O port on the logger. This has been scripted to start/stop the logging function. I’ll also add a microSD extension cable from the logger to the switch panel so I can easily access the memory card.
The GPS antenna will (eventually) be mounted to the roof.
I need to wait until about June of ‘16 for the OBD-II bridge connector to be released so I can poll the ECU.
After completing the burn in test I can start thinking about some more functions using the Logger CPU.
RaceCapture/Pro2 installed in 818 project/track car
Post here to say hello! Tell us what you drive, what race series you participate in and how you want to use Race Capture to help you go faster. Pics extra welcome!
Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:47 pm
- Location: Detroit, MI
3 posts • Page 1 of 1