Hello from San Jose

Post here to say hello! Tell us what you drive, what race series you participate in and how you want to use Race Capture to help you go faster. Pics extra welcome!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

MichiganMat

Hello from San Jose

Post by MichiganMat »

Hi Autosport Labs and Forum!

Im building a WRX-powered Porsche 914 to play with next year and Im investigating options for the dash. I was thinking of installing a stock WRX dash into the car but a friend turned me on to the new Race Capture module. What Im wondering is if the module + Android tablet will be effective enough to use as a primary dash solution. Has this been tried and tested yet?

Is the wireless connection fast enough to update the display in sufficient time to have a good user experience? Im an software engineer by trade (wrote a bunch of the v1 BT stack for MacOS actually, heh) and Im particular to these kinds of issues.

Looking forward to hearing peoples experiences!
Best,
Mat

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi Matt! I'm in Silicon Valley too (Mountain View)

There are a few teams using RCP as a primary dash, one is a Bricklin SV-1 racing in 24 Hours of Lemons. Their setup works great (only issue they had is making sure the tablet was getting full 2A charging, they had to swap out a few cables).

Latency is extremely low over BT, I use RCP as a secondary dash and I never notice any latency. A big factor in (perceived) latency is the tablet. Buy a powerful one like the Nvidia Shield and the app will run amazingly fast.

Another thing I do with RCP is have it drive warning LEDs, so even if the tablet breaks and our driver stops looking at gauges, bright LEDS are hard to miss :)
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

MichiganMat

Post by MichiganMat »

Im getting ready to pull the trigger on the MK3 system for my 2002 WRX project. I just want to confirm, the 2002 WRX ECU is supported, yes? Going to run the MK3 + Can/OBD Adapter, Android Tablet, with a Subaru WRX RomRaider flash.

Id be really sad to buy all this great hardware and then not be able to use it :/

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Mat,

Sorry we missed this post. The classic OBDII adapter will work with your 2002 WRX and get you the essential channels:

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/OBD2CAN

This works with both RaceCapture/Pro and RaceCapture/Track.

Any further sales related questions you're welcome to contact us at [email protected]. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter