Porsche Cayman R install (987.2)

Post here to say hello! Tell us what you drive, what race series you participate in and how you want to use Race Capture to help you go faster. Pics extra welcome!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

jaytee

Porsche Cayman R install (987.2)

Post by jaytee »

Hello everyone:

I received an RCP3 and OBDII/CAN cable last week and had a few chances to work with it. I'll post separate threads with my questions / observations, but figured I'd share some background here first.

I autocross a couple times a month, and try to spend a weekend at a track once a month or so. I started with an iPhone app (Harry's), an OBDII adapter, and a GoPro Hero5 but quickly got frustrated with lack of data, especially oil temp and brake pressure, and constant failures.

My car is a 2012 Porsche Cayman R (987.2). It appears to have quite a bit of data available off the CAN bus pins on the OBDII port per AiM.

I plan to figure out as much of the CAN signaling as possible through the OBDII port now, while I figure out where to mount the RCP3. I'll probably mount an Android tablet on the center stack to run SoloStorm.

Any feedback and experiences are definitely welcome, and thanks to boggie1688 for already providing guidance.

-Jeff

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, Thanks for sharing! Would be great to see pics of your install as you develop it.

As you learn more about the CAN data on your car we'd love to see it in the CAN mapping section of the forum!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter