BMW M3 with S52 odb1

Post here to say hello! Tell us what you drive, what race series you participate in and how you want to use Race Capture to help you go faster. Pics extra welcome!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

wcorredor

BMW M3 with S52 odb1

Post by wcorredor »

Brent
As you may remember we have been running Champcar with a BMW E30 for a couple of years with an MK2, tablet and a lot sensors and LUA scripting with lots of success. (Actually that is our only dashboard. It is great). See video https://youtu.be/q52GmSDSG9o.

We just bought another car, MBW M3 (1996) with a S52 engine with ODB1 and are planning to buy another Race Capture.

So what is out best bet? MK3? What data are we going to be able to get from the ODB1 port if any? Are we going to have to install sensors way with the E30? Which?

We would like to have break pressure, TPS, OIL temp, OIL pressure, Water Temp, and shift lights?

We will use another Galaxy Tab as dashboard. Do you know if there is any way to mirror screen to have it as a Head Up Display, I like to give that a try.

Thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - Sounds like RaceCapture/Pro MK3 is your best bet.

The Fire8 tablet is the hot choice right now - inexpensive yet fast with a bright screen; I would use that, and create a shroud for it as well to glare shield it.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

wcorredor

Post by wcorredor »

You didn't answer anything about:
What data are we going to be able to get from the ODB1 port if any? Are we going to have to install sensors way with the E30? Which?

Thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry I missed that.

RaceCapture isn't designed to work with OBD1 at all. So, direct sensors are you primary option, which makes RaceCapture/Pro the ideal choice.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter