EDIS running problems

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

steve_c

EDIS running problems

Post by steve_c »

I've just bolted the EDIS system into the car without the Megajolt and am observing that the timing mark is jumping between 10 and 20 degrees BTDC. Seems to be about 30% 10 and 70% 20. I have the VR sensor about 2mm from the trigger wheel (crank pulley machined with shallow 'teeth'). Any idea what I need to do to get a consistent 10 degrees? Do I need to move the sensor round a bit or further towards the pulley? or away? Any advice much appreciated.

Steve

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

Most people aim for 1mm, give or take a bit. Basically, it's as close as you can manage while avoiding all risk of collision!

steve_c

Post by steve_c »

I've moved it a bit closer but not much difference. Moving it circumferencially(?!) makes a difference though so am pursuing this route.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The EDIS module may not be getting a strong enough signal to keep sync with the wheel pattern you machined. Is your pattern as deep as the typical Ford EDIS wheels? Post a picture if you can.

Does the pulley allow for a deeper pattern?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

steve_c

Post by steve_c »

The pulley has grooves about 3 to 4 mm deep and semicircular in profile. I shall get out the Dremel and make the profile sharper. The grooves can be made deeper as long as the small grinding wheel holds out!

steve_c

Post by steve_c »

I've sharpened up the teeth profiles and moved the sensor around a few mm anticlockwise. The timing is now solid but at 14 degrees BTDC. I think I may have to move it back to it's previous position. I presume the placing of the sensor at TDC is critical.

Steve

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

So it sounds like the teeth needed to have a larger difference to generate a strong enough AC signal and see the missing tooth. Yes, where the sensor is in relation to the missing tooth will determine where the EDIS thinks TDC(and 10 degrees before) is.

steve_c

Post by steve_c »

Yes it would appear so. My pulley was machined as a copy of this wheel (see pic). It would seem that the sensor benefits from steeper sides to the teeth. Hopefully moving the sensor today to get the 10 degree timing. We're getting there!

Steve
Attachments
Machined 'A series' crank pulley
Machined 'A series' crank pulley
DSCF1013.jpg (82.89 KiB) Viewed 5224 times

910esprit

Post by 910esprit »

I might be missing something but that wheel appears not to have a missing tooth.
Would this cause the random advance settings?

steve_c

Post by steve_c »

The pic was taken before the tooth was removed. I he did like me, he would have ground the relevant tooth out after the pulley was on the engine and he could determine which one to remove after mounting the sensor. I would suspect that the EDIS would not produce a spark without the missing tooth.