what am i doing wrong??

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

breeza18

what am i doing wrong??

Post by breeza18 »

hi all im having trouble with getting my car started. wont even cough or splutter, ive run the battery down twice trying/checking different things. so......
fuel........yes
spark.....yes
mj power.....yes
edis power...yes
coil power....yes

as for my trigger wheel just need to clarify as ive read different things and looked at different things, my car is 4 cylinda and turns clockwise. so with the engine set at tdc should the nothced tooth of my trigger wheel sit level with the tdc marking and then the vr sensor be placed 90 deg defore that. or should the sensor and the notched tooth be sat 90deg befroe tdc? ive tried both. the drawing on the install pages sugests the first setup.

some body help its driving me nuts! it wont run on edis or mj. but everything is there to say it should? HELP!!
vw golf 2.0 16v zx9r carbs

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

4-cylinder?

Has it run on the mjlj before? If not, it sounds like your timing's 180 degrees out.
Is not, try swapping the HT leads 180 degrees. You'll notice 1&4 and 2&3 are paired on the coil pack. Swap the two pairs over and try again.

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

ok double checked every thing and it was all spot on, turned the key and it started after pouring fuel into the carbs. problem now is it will start on its own fuel but dies afterabout 10 secs of steady idle. no matter if i touch the trottle or add/remove the choke? so i disconected the mj and it does exactly the same on edis? still cant get my tps to calibertae either.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

It does sound like a fuel issue. You might want to verify the fuel pump remains on after you prime your engine.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

sierra2dr

Post by sierra2dr »

@breeza18,that's the exact problem I have,just won't fire up. Started to get dark,so I had to call it a day.

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

i know the pump is fine as it was running before i did the mj conversion, unless its broken while doing the conversion. still primes when i flick the ignition on? i wondered whether it wont run because i haven't got the tps caliberated yet,would this cause it, but then again it does it on the edis only to. i'l make sure its not the fuel pump first. thanks

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

Ah, electrical pump. As brent has already questiond, Is the pump continuing to run when the engine fires? I strongly suspect not! Was it originally K-Jetronic? With the tachymetric relay looking for a coil -ve signal to keep the pump running? If so, that'll be your problem.You need to feed the pump with 12V some other way - my suggestion for another method is detailed here.

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

gilsey your a star, think you hit the nail on the head. im running a motor bike fuel pump in place of the old k-jet but using the original wiring. so whats the best way around this little problem? does i just need to change the switching for the relay?

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

so could i use one of my user outputs to ground the relay when i flick the ignition? how do i set it up on the mj? just lower the activating point?

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

anyone??

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

There is a previous topic discussing fuel pump relays- see here:

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic. ... ay&start=0

In short- You want enable the fuel pump while cranking and running, but deactivate it when the engine stalls. However, the MJLJ cannot measure below 450 RPMs, so detecting a stall condition with the MJLJ is not practical. This thread was discussing alternate techniques for achieving the desired effect.

Hope this helps,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

i see what your saying but the fuel pump im using only supplys fuel when the fuel pressure in the carbs drops, (interupter pump i think is the name?) so if i stall then the pump wont run anyway. can i use mj as the grnd for the relay then?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

In the two other threads linked from here, the emphasis was on safety. The goal was to disable the fuel pump if the engine stops running.

In an accident situation, a fuel line might be severed, or the vehicle might be upside down; a mechanical failure may occur (like an engine mount ripping away, causing hoses to pop off, etc.) a fuel pump will continue working without these safety measures.

Under these failure modes, the fuel pump you describe will continue to work, causing an obviously dangerous situation.

Hope this helps,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

to be honest i never thought of that, its a valid point and deffinatly made my mind up which way to plum it in. thanks for all the replys guys.