VR Sensor & Trigger Wheel Mounting Information Discrepancy

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

rondefly

clockwise again

Post by rondefly »

Well Matt, I am glad it is working for you. However, when two different author's describe the same thing different is is very confusing. With all the members of this group saying they are having problems and are confused something needs to be changed in the directions to make it simplier. I don't care to go through all the trouble of makeing the hardware to mount the sensor, drill the holes in the trigger wheel just to find out it is in the wrong location.

Ron Triano

Paratime

I feel your pain.

Post by Paratime »

This is an extremely common point of confusion, because technical manuals list engine rotation as viewed from the crank shaft, while just about everyone working on an engine lists engine rotation as viewed from the pulley.

Sooo.... IF VIEWED FROM THE FRONT (for most engines)

An engine that rotates clockwise, the pulley key-way will be at the top (12 o'clock) when the #1 piston is at TDC (all the way up in the bore)

The key-way will be at the bottom (6 o'clock) when the #1 piston is at BDC (all the way down in the bore)

3 o'clock will be 90 degrees AFTER TDC (piston is going down)
9 o'clock will be 90 degrees BEFORE TDC (piston is coming up)

brentp
Site Admin

It might be somewhat simplist

Post by brentp »

It might be somewhat simplistic, but I see it turning clockwise viewing it facing the crankshaft pulley.

Optionally, if your car has a timing belt, imaging the direction the engine has to turn to move the timing belt correctly- it will pull on the side of the timing belt opposite of the tensioner pulley.

Like what Paratime and I were saying before, the EDIS4 module seems to be tolerant of being configured backward. Since the vast majority of people here are doing EDIS4, it would be interesting to see what an EDIS6 or 8 user would experience.

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

rondefly

want to add a photo of my installation

Post by rondefly »

I am mounting the VR Sensor and trigger wheel as shown in this photo. It is on a Continental 0200. Guess it would not paste into this post.

Ron Triano

Paratime

1000 Words

Post by Paratime »

Just upload the photo to one of the free photo hosting sites, then paste in the link.

brentp
Site Admin

... you can also upload the p

Post by brentp »

... you can also upload the photo under the 'files' section.

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Pantera

Definitive Information

Post by Pantera »

I had a long talk with the "tech guys" at Accel DFI yesterday. They have a version of their EFI system that interfaces with the EDIS ignition system so they are VERY familliar with it. They also happened to have a Ford V8 engine in their shop which was equipped with an EDIS-8 system from the factory, so they double-checked their logic before giving me VRS/trigger wheel mounting instructions. Here is what they told me: with the engine at TDC, the VRS should be mounted "N"/10 teeth after the missing tooth on the trigger wheel. This is the same as KITT's theory, which is: position the engine at "N" degrees BTDC and mount the VRS directly above the missing tooth. ("N" = 90 for a 4 cyl., 50 for an 8 cyl., etc.).