Coil pack favour

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

gav

Coil pack favour

Post by gav »

Hello, just wodnering if someone can measure the height of the later ford coil pack, the one that doesnt use the ht leads will the clips.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Hi gav

Keep meaning to measure mine but keep forgetting, is that with and without leads attached????

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

gav

Post by gav »

Sorry posted in the wrong section. Yes with and without the leads would be great thanks. Also do you know if the plug is the same on the earlier and later coil packs?

MillersMule

Post by MillersMule »

Later flat bottom coil pack is 80mm (3.15") tall by my measure, early style is 84.5mm (3.34"). These dimensions are approximate given the loose tolerances of the parts.

In my experience leads very greatly (+/- 5mm) by choice of manufacturer, it will also depend if you want straight or angled leads.

-Jason
Happy motoring,
-Jason Miller

gav

Post by gav »

BRUCEROE

Coil pack favour

Post by BRUCEROE »

I was working on wiring my engine, and noted the coil pack connector has 3 pins. Power to the middle pin, and one pin on each side to each coil primary. Didn't see in the literature, which pin drives which coil. Did a little lab test, and sho 'nouf, the left pin drives the left coil; the right pin drives the right coil. The plug pin numbers on the outputs didn't help. Some of my packs had a different plug number set, not much use.

With the 2 ends of the coil secondary connected to 2 plugs, guess one is getting a + spark, and the other is getting a - spark. Long ago guys said if you wired the ignition coil primary backwards, it really degraded the spark. But I'm thinking maybe they were just wrong. Bruce Roe