me again megajolt questions!

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

blister

me again megajolt questions!

Post by blister »

hiya thought i would open a new thread due to a run up to a new problem as well as a doning alot more troubleshooting so my current standings are

i have installed V4.0.2 software which was on a cd that i recieved from the seller i bought it from on ebay
i now connected it all up and i got could not open port! i adjusted the com1 to com3 i now get timeout reading cylinder count so i guess this is progress isnt it!

well i use the cheap ebay rs323 to usb but i got a few questions now

1. do i need to change any pins etc?
2. can megajolt just be powered up but does it have to be connected to the edis to know the cylinder count?
3. i dont have access to any serial ported pc's what is my best bet as i need to make my laptop work because i will need to take it down to my local rolling road

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Use the part of the guide to find out what COM port your USB to serial adapter is actually on.
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Op ... erial_Port

Then set the configuration software to match.

problems with USB-Serial adapters are not uncommon, but definitely make sure you get these initial steps figured out.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

blister

Post by blister »

just re checked all that lot, and its all perfect com3 on device manager and on the software itself plugged it in powered it up with a car battery and i still get the problem with cannot read cylinder count,

"salvaged a pc from a skip that had a serial port (i asked owner and he said it was fine, got it home and there is no graphics card or screen port! ahhhh it did power up though but this pc is so old it i doubt i will find a card for it, guess i will just try and get another converter cable

my chip in my current convert is mindwave if that helps

Tony B.

Post by Tony B. »

Hi Blister, did you get this sorted ?. I have the same issue with a V3 Controller. I have tried a lap top with a "proper" serial port and still no joy. Like you I have verified the COM setting but can't get the pc & the controller to talk to each other.

I am also trying to save the configuration on a non-running motor.

Thanks .... Tony

NITROPIXIE

Re: me again megajolt questions!

Post by NITROPIXIE »

blister wrote:
1. do i need to change any pins etc?
2. can megajolt just be powered up but does it have to be connected to the edis to know the cylinder count?
3. i dont have access to any serial ported pc's what is my best bet as i need to make my laptop work because i will need to take it down to my local rolling road
Hi Blister,

To answer your questions:-
1. No you don't need to change any pins.
2. You can power up the megajolt unit using just a 9v battery. No you don't have to have it connected to the EDIS to be able to communicate and change maps on the MJLJ. You should not a a cylinder runtime error once the MJLJ has properly connected to the computer.
3. Try and get access to a serial port computer and confirm communication with the MJLJ. Use a 9V battery or similar power supply to do this. It makes fault finding less awkward then doing it in your car.

I would guess the issue is with your serial adapter at the moment, but lets confirm communication with the megajolt and a computer first to provide confidence in your MJLJ unit. Then go from there.

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Tony B. wrote:Hi Blister, did you get this sorted ?. I have the same issue with a V3 Controller. I have tried a lap top with a "proper" serial port and still no joy. Like you I have verified the COM setting but can't get the pc & the controller to talk to each other.

I am also trying to save the configuration on a non-running motor.

Thanks .... Tony
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

So far you have a slightly different problem, in that you have tried connecting the MJLJ unit to a computer with a dedicated serial adapter. Computers with a dedicated serial connector should be straight forward when trying to communicate with one another. You should be able to save the configuration on a non running motor.

What software are you using at the moment? Are you using software with the prefix 3.X.X? as software prefixed 4.X.X will not work due to a different type of processor on the different boards.

Ryan

Tony B.

Post by Tony B. »

Hi Ryan, thanks for the welcome. It is 3.2.1 software that came with a Ford Crossflow engine I bought which was running a complete V3 TPS system. Northampton Motorsport re-mapped it about 6 months ago using that 3.2.1 software (sellers laptop) so I assume it has 3.2.1 firmware. I am trying to save that map as I won't be fitting the engine for a few months yet.

I have borrowed an old Windows XP Pro laptop from work which has a serial port as the USB Converter on my Windows 7 laptop didn't appear to work. The serial cable is std (5m long though) and I have checked that all pins are connected to each other at both ends. I am powering the Megajolt from a 9v PP3 battery. Serail Port comes up as Com 1 which is the same as the Megajolt s/w default.

Does the COM Port speed setting matter greatly ?, I have tried several including the slowest. I can't tell the firmware version from "Help" as it won't connect. I am getting the same error mesages as Blister.

Hope you can help, Thanks ..... Tony

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Sounds like your certainly on the right path.

Baud rate or com port speed I believe should be set to 4800 I think, but hopefully Brent should be able to clear that up.

kalidor

Post by kalidor »

Hi I've just bought megajolt for my 2.8i capri and am experiencing this same proble, runtime reading cylinder count, my situation is an exact carbon copy of the one blister is describing! I wonder if you got to the bottom of this problem?

Thanks
Craig

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

Are you using a usb-serial adapter, or a computer with a dedicated serial port? Have you checked in Windows Device Manager to ensure the COM port matches what you are setting in the software?

This part of the guide should help
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Op ... erial_Port
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

kalidor

Post by kalidor »

hi, had a more thorough look on here since i got home from work and i see this is a common issue and the questions you asked are always your first, i apologize for this!!

i bought the unit ready built, direct from this website and you supplied me with the usb adapter etc required for communication so i would assume that you have sent me one of the adapters you deem to be adequate!?!

I have access to three laptops, none have serial ports and none have 'ports&lpt' listed in their device managers. only with com3 do i get this message, all other 19 ports state 'unable to connect' so i assume the coms port is also correct! i do have access to a desktop but it is going to be very tricky to connect to this as the MJ is installed in the car and the tower drive is installed in an enclosed office station! the vehicle runs fine from EDIS but currently has no fuel in it as the project has a way to go before it is roadworthy, therefore i have not tested to see if the engine is now running off MJ or still using EDIS. i will juice her and try it when i get chance.

After reading the many other posts relating to this issue i will inspect the connectors etc tomorrow and if that proves fruitless i will have to dismantle my office in order to ascertain whether or not you have sent me and inadequate connector or not.

I will report back as soon as i have anymore information. again i apologize for not reading the forums thoroughly and checking this stuff before writing.

Thanks
Craig

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thank you for the additional detail. As I understand, you purchased this USB to Serial adapter?
http://www.autosportlabs.com/compact-us ... -p-57.html

have you installed the drivers? the correct driver to install is the "R340" driver. Be sure you install this before attempting to connect.

Once the driver is installed, plug in the USB-Serial adapter. The USB-Serial adapter should show up in device manager as a new COM port. In fact, you should see the COM port appear and disappear as you plug and unplug the USB-Serial adapter.

make a note of the COM port for your adapter and set it to be the one to use in the Configuration software.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

kalidor

Post by kalidor »

Hi

It's not exactly like that, it has a short length of cable on it, I did order the system before Xmas and I notice you didn't start supplying these untill December, maybe it was an earlier version? I will check the drivers tomorrow!

Thanks
Craig

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

We have only supplied one type of adapter, as pictured. And yes, they do come with a short extension cable (which is not required for use).
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

kalidor

Post by kalidor »

Hi thanks for the advice, i reinstalled the drivers and it is now working fine. I have taken a picture on my phone of the usb adaptor you supplied me as a maintain it is not the one you claim and will upload it tonight when i get home! At the end of the day though everything is working fine now and i thankyou again for your help!

thanks
Craig