Vacuum/MAP feed?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

spandit

Vacuum/MAP feed?

Post by spandit »

My engine doesn't appear to have a vacuum system - the distributor is mechanically advanced. However, the brake servo has a vacuum feed - can I tap off this to go to my MAP sensor?

Failing that, there is a manifold that connects the air filter assembly to the two carburettors (which, being Zenith models, apparently don't have a vacuum feed) - can I just drill a fitting into that?

On a vehicle-specific forum, someone who is installing full EFI wrote:

"The pinz engine has INSANE manifold pressure at higher RPM on deceleration and at idle... 24-27MP" - is this a problem for the MJLJ?

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

You need to take a feed off the inlet manifold, and if you have servo assist braking, this would work.

VW's (Mk1/2 Golfs) use vac assist on pretty much anything outside the engine block... dizzy advance, carb operation, brake assist.

spandit

Post by spandit »

Turns out I didn't know what an inlet manifold was (despite having built a kit car in the past!) :roll:. Just need to work out how to tap into it. The line that feeds the brake cylinder is 14mm diameter, I think. I'll have a look tomorrow if I have time

spandit

Post by spandit »

Here's a dreadful vignette-style (thanks, iPhone "flash") picture of the brake servo fitting (it's the braided hose going to the banjo fitting in the bottom left of the picture):

Any thoughts on how to add a fitting onto this. It's an M16 hollow screw? There's a 12mm pipe linking the two inlet manifolds (4-cylinder engine with 2 carbs) - I presume to balance things.

spandit

Post by spandit »

OK, I'm thinking if I cut the braided pipe I can install a piece of copper tubing with some copper brake pipe soldered into it to act as my vacuum pipe. Any problems with this?

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Go to a scrapyard and find an old mk2 golf, they have the proper adaptors for just this so you don't need to make up your own.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks - any chance of a picture/description of what you mean? I've been told on certain Pinzgauer engines they have the vacuum attached here but don't know how

A better picture here (with hose and engine cover removed):

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Something like this. This is the CIS injection model. The carb models have a similar one on the right hand side of the manifold. This T piece is also a valve to store vacuum escaping from the Vacuum reservoir of the brake servo when in low vacuum MAP (possibly engine stall) and requiring to still brake.

You may find similar ones on most models of VW's (petrol).
Attachments
VW map tap (330 x 219).jpg
VW map tap (330 x 219).jpg (21.82 KiB) Viewed 8109 times
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks for that - the one I'll make will be very similar to that. There's already a valve in the vacuum line for the purpose you mention

spandit

Post by spandit »

Just thought I'd update this post with what I eventually came up with. The copper pipe you can see in the picture is a scrap piece that is soldered shut and can be easily replaced with a longer section once I come to install the MJLJ