Just starting out!

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

beachbuggy61

Just starting out!

Post by beachbuggy61 »

Hi, greetings from Australia.
I've just received my megajolt and am looking forward to the EDIS gear arriving in the next few days and then setting it up.

My question is around software and setup. I want to make sure I download the right stuff so that the setup runs smoothly!

Do I download software or firmware or both? Sorry if this seems obvious, but I figure it's better to ask. :D

Once I've got it all wired up and plugged in, will the map be a default one or do I have to set up each p[art of the 10 x 10?

Thanks, Marc.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

It doesn't matter if the Megajolt is pre-assembled or a kit. Brent preloads the proper firmware.

So all you need to do is download the proper software from this website. Make sure it matches, I gather you have Megajolt version 4.

You do have a bit of work ahead of you with making a harness(loom to you), and installing your trigger wheel and VR sensor. Don't forget the MAP sensor or TPS, making brackets and running all the wires. Then the initial fireup: mine had the VR polarity reversed, but the coil leads(and power) were correct!

Brent preloads it with a generic/default map, it will get you started. I plotted my distributor curve every 500 rpm with a timing light, then modified from there.

Beachbuggy, is that a flat 4 VW or something else powering your ride? And welcome to the site!

beachbuggy61

Post by beachbuggy61 »

Thanks Danny, that sounds pretty straighfroward.

I've got a wiring loom coming for it and it's pretty simple stuff anyway so that will be cool. The physical wiring I'm not worried about, its the electronics/computer stuff that make me nervous! :D

Installing the trigger wheel and making the VR sensor bracket wil be.... a challenge!

Its a baja bug with a 1915cc turbo (hence my need for good timing/advance mapping!)

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Cheers, Marc.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Look at my pics for help in the wheel/sensor department. Plus there are others here with type1s and type 4s.
My pics are under Porsche 550 Spyder Replica in the "powered by" section. I have a 911 shroud and a 5" pulley on a type1, so they may or may not help you. Be sure to locate your sensor so it doesn't need to be removed for fan belt changing if possible. For me, I just have to unplug the wire from the sensor.

I hear you about wiring, I had no problem or fear of it either. Mine has been running for 3 years now.

If you need a pic of spark plug wire placement, let me know.

I hope you picked the MAP sensor version, easy way to control ignition retard under boost! What are you doing for enrichment under boost?

beachbuggy61

Post by beachbuggy61 »

Hi Danny,

Yes, I've got the MAP version. All bolted in place now and vacuum hoses hooked up! Keeping up with boost is via a rising rate fuel pressure regulator which is also hooked up to boost. This seems to work well when the ignition is running right!

I looked at your pictures, thanks. Some ideas starting to formulate so that when I get the EDIS gear I'll be able to get straight onto it. My problem could be that I have a sand-seal pulley which sticks out from the motor a lot further than the standard and then I have exhaust near by so there's not a lot of room! I'll have to see when it gets here.

Cheers, Marc.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

With a large hole in the toothed wheel, you may be able to mount the wheel on the inside of your pulley. Some people have used the heavy Berg-type "harmonic balancer" steel pulley and just drilled a bunch of holes to make a toothed wheel. After you drill the holes, then all you need is a VR mount.....

beachbuggy61

Post by beachbuggy61 »

I was also thinking about the 'inside the pulley' mount. The trigger wheel should arrive today so I'm hoping for a look-see tonight. I've also seen the harmonic balancer type setup you talk about. My problem is the sand seal which means I can only run a sand seal pully which limits my options somewhat.

I've got a couple of engineering contacts here so when I get the wheel, the options will really either open up or close down completely! :cry:

In one of your earlier replies you offered pictures of the plug wire placement. That would be really handy if you've got it.

Thanks, Marc.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Will do soon, just got the car back in MY garage from my sister's house. If you put the coilpack with the spark terminals facing up, the wires go straight to each plug when the coil power connector is facing the driver's side(cylinders 3 and 4).