How I joined shielded cable/wire (picture heavy tutorial)

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

spandit

How I joined shielded cable/wire (picture heavy tutorial)

Post by spandit »

I didn't want to use crimp connectors as they end up quite bulky and it would have been difficult to get the shield around it.

Started off by soldering the cables together:

I then insulated them with a few coats of liquid tape:

Next, I wrapped some insulating tape around them, just to be on the safe side (as the liquid tape can sometimes leave holes)

I then spread the shielding as best I could (i.e. not very well!) around the join

This was then covered in thin foil (lucky it was Easter - this came off an egg!)

Finally, I pulled some heatshrink over the lot, heated it and sealed the ends with more liquid tape:

Should keep things fairly waterproof. Would have preferred to use unbroken lengths between the EDIS and the sensor but don't have the means to remove the existing pins, let alone re-use them

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Yes you do
EDIS PIN removal
1) take off the black cover on the back of the plug
2) pirize out the red weather seal. remove both
3) pull out the red slider on the pin side
Now
you can either position it (the red slider) so the pins fall out
or use a small screwdriver from the pin side of the plug to ping the littel plastic hold in tab, down each hole, back so the pins just fall out
if you don't know where this tab is
on EDIS 4 and 6 Connectors one of the holes is not filled
look down it with a light in the back ground and see the tiny thin Sliver of plastic that stick out to hold in the pins
ping it back and out falls the pin in question.

then go here
http://rjminjectiontech.com/products/terminal-vss-fe

and get some new ones

Dave

spandit

Post by spandit »

Cheers, Dave. I'll have a look at doing that as it should neaten things up a bit although my splicing is working fine at the moment

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

No problem fine fella

Dave