help with shielded cables

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

surferpete

help with shielded cables

Post by surferpete »

Hi guys,

I am almost ready to install my new 1915cc vw aircooled engine with megajolt/edis! Before I do let me just say that it is pretty much straightforward as to understanding the instructions. So my question basically has to do with the shielded wires that go from the VR sensor to edis and the ones that go from edis to the megajolt unit.

When it says to ground the shield how do you do that(pictures please)? Also, where and which shielded cables can I use? I have a two way shielded cable but the cables are smaller than the ones that come off of the VR sensor. Is it ok to use or should I use something the same size?

alexander

Post by alexander »

*'grounding the shield' means that, at one end of the cable, you uncover part of the shield, twist it round into a little pigtail, and solder a wire onto it. that wire is then connected to pin 7 on the EDIS plug, which is there specifically for grounding the shield cables. just make sure the shield doesnt touch the core wire.

*ideally, the entire length of the VR sensor cable should be shielded, including the bit which goes from EDIS to MJ.

*you can use any shielded cable, but for simple practical reasons i would suggest that it is easier to work with wires of similar size to those on the sensor. that said, the current flowing in them is minute, so anything you can work with will be fine. stripping and soldering very thin wires can, however, be challenging!

surferpete

Post by surferpete »

I have the engine running and the system working. I asked about the grounding of the shielded cable because I connected it to pin 7 on the edis as well as to a ground point on the chassis. Everything is running ok, I am just dealing with carb air leak issues.