coilpack order

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Swedge

coilpack order

Post by Swedge »

my engine fires 1-3-4-2

do i connect up the leads like normal i.e. 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4

or do they connect up
plug 1 to coilpack 1
plug 2 to colipack 4
plug 3 to coilpack 2
plug 4 to coilpack 3

toenee

Post by toenee »

Numbers on the coil pack are the order in which it fires, ie. number 1 first and four last.
So with a 1,3,4,2 firing order, number 1 lead goes to number 1 on the coil pack, number 3 lead goes to number 2 on the coil pack, no.4 to 3 and no.2 to 4.

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

yeah thats what i was thinking but there are different people saying different things on other websites

toenee

Post by toenee »

Shouldn't make a difference really, but I know mine seemed to run better with it that way around.

spandit

Post by spandit »

Am I right in thinking the coilpack fires twice (wasted spark) per revolution? I'm trying to establish whether mine is faulty

toenee

Post by toenee »

spandit wrote:Am I right in thinking the coilpack fires twice (wasted spark) per revolution? I'm trying to establish whether mine is faulty
Yep

spandit

Post by spandit »

Terrific...

Which pairs fire together?

toenee

Post by toenee »

1 & 4 then 2 & 3

spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks. I've just ordered an infrared thermometer so hopefully it will tell me which cylinder isn't firing properly. By swapping the leads over, I can see if it's the coil pack that might be at fault

toenee

Post by toenee »

How close to the trigger wheel is the VR sensor, had a similar problem with a weak spark on 2 cylinders. Moved the sensor further away with 1 washer as a spacer (1mm) and that sorted it.

spandit

Post by spandit »

If I unplug the individual leads from the coilpack, the spark jumps about 2 inches - I think that's strong enough!

Not sure if misfire is happening at higher revs - at idle it's really lumpy with lots of popping from the hot exhaust (i.e. unburnt fuel - so don't think it's a fuelling problem).

I'm erring towards compression at the moment but want to know which cylinder is the bad one and every thing I can definitely eliminate will help

toenee

Post by toenee »

You get resister plugs in there ?

spandit

Post by spandit »

Yep, plugs seemed to be OK when I last pulled them a couple of days ago - none of them stood out as being covered in soot/oil etc. Why would resistive plugs make a difference?

toenee

Post by toenee »

Too little resistance in the circuit possibly ???

spandit

Post by spandit »

Why would that cause a misfire? Wouldn't that be a good thing? I've got resistive leads anyway so don't think that's the problem