Can faulty coil cause no SAW-signal ?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Patriq

Can faulty coil cause no SAW-signal ?

Post by Patriq »

Still trouble-shooting my installation. Car suddenly stopped running when I was out for a spin.

I have no rpm on the configurator, even though the EDIS is fed a simulated VR-signal. I have switched polarity on the signal as well just to be safe.
Trigger-wheels Ltd has confirmed both my EDIS units are working (bought a spare for the trouble shooting). And I have tried with both EDIS units and polarity both ways on each.

I have power and ground where there is supposed to be. Battery is newly charged and shows over 13V.
I have tested e v e r y wire, and they are all intact from contact to contact at each end.

So, could a faulty coil cause the EDIS not to send SAW to MJLJ? (and naturally no spark) Since the coil in reality are two coils, shouldn't I at least have spark on two cylinders ? (it's a 4 cyl setup) Or do the whole coil fail if it fails?

Configurator by the way registers TPS and water temperature on the engine.
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand now !

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Patriq,

the engine should run on just the EDIS by itself, without the Megajolt needing to be connected. You might check your VR sensor cabling and alignment with the crank.

just for note, the EDIS module emits the PIP signal to the Megajolt, which in turn replies with a SAW signal .
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

Ok, so the question should be "....cause no PIP?"

But as I described, it doesn't even limp. And I've never really suspected the MJLJ.
I've ruled out cabling. Remaining EDIS or coil. Since I've had confirmation that the EDIS is working I can't understand why MJLJ isn't seeing rpm when I feed the EDIS a known good VR-signal.

Hence the question about the PIP-signal, since that would be a confirmation that the coil is faulty. I don't have another coil I can try with, and no friend with an EDIS installation I could try my coil on.

So back to how the EDIS would behave if the coil is faulty; would it cause the EDIS not to send out PIP?

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

Does no one really know ?

EDIS units are working, all cabling is ok, power and ground is ok. EDIS is fed a known good simulated VR-signal (I've used it to test the system previously). Then why doesn't the MJLJ configurator show rpm ?

Only reason I can think of is if the coil somehow affects the behaviour of the EDIS.

I should mention that I have the hard rev limiter installed. So power to coil goes through it, but I have power at the plug to the coil. That I have confirmed.