whats the best way to test an EDIS-4 coil pack for spark?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

eds911915

whats the best way to test an EDIS-4 coil pack for spark?

Post by eds911915 »

gettin weak spark. got 13 volts goin in. and intermitant coming out. i want to bench test the coil pack. can i do it by providing power to pin 2 and grounding pins 1&3 like those old style cylinder shaped coils?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You want to use a meter to measure the resistance across the primaries and secondary windings.

Primary resistance should be about 3-6 ohms (measure from the middle terminal to one of the outer terminals)
Secondary resistance should be about 13-16Kohms (measure across two left posts / two right posts as primary connector is facing you)

One failure mode might be a broken secondary - measuring zero resistance on the secondary. This will cause the sparking *inside* the coil pack and consequently a weaker spark at the spark plug.

I don't recommend testing with a battery as you might accidentally overheat the primaries from applying voltage for too long.

Let us know what you find out

eds911915

primary & secondary resistance measurements

Post by eds911915 »

Thanx for the input brent. i measured the primary and secondary circuits on my suspect edis-4 coil pack. i came up with .8 ohms on the primary circuit pins 2&3 or pins 1&2. I got 1.3 ohms on the secondary circuit pins 1&3 i used an auto ranging fluke meter the numbers seem close to what you specified but the decemal points are out of wack thats why say the meter is auto ranging. so do you think i can condem this coil pack?