EDIS Module

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

eds911915

EDIS Module

Post by eds911915 »

Is bench testing a EDIS-4 module possible or whats the best way to condem an EDIS module?

cng1

Post by cng1 »

EDIS modules, particularly EDIS-4 modules fail extraordinarily rarely. Unless you are positive that everything else on your installation is 100% OK the best route is to assume that the EDIS-4 is OK. Most commonly wiring or trigger issues are the cause of problems and not the EDIS module. If you are sure that all those things are OK then simplest route is to just swap out the suspect module for another one - the chances on having one faulty one is tiny, to have two is infinitesimally small.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

eds911915

EDIS Module

Post by eds911915 »

ok- I have to believe what your telling me because i have no other point a referance to consider. but iv read alot posts on this site wear people say replacing the EDIS module fixed the problem. I wish it was that simple for my project iv replaced everything in my Megajolt/EDIS with no luck still intermitant spark condition. iv replace 2 modules- 2 crank sensors- checked all the voltages and signals all ok pulled the trigger wheel off 10 time to check for correct TDC cyl#1 i dont get it WTF am i doing wrong here?

cng1

Post by cng1 »

In that case try swapping the EDIS module out. If it fixes the issue great, if not then you'll know it isn't that and that the problem must be one of the usual suspects - Not running resistor plugs, wobbly crank sensor bracket, off-center trigger wheel or electrical interference.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

eds911915

EDIS Module

Post by eds911915 »

I tried replacing the EDIS module the last time I was at pick a part because they are so cheep but still had little affect on my project. how do you check electrical inferience do i need an O-scope or can i do it with a DVOM. im using shielded cable for the VR sensor Circuit im getting 1.6 volt a/c while cranking. what the system is doing is starts and runs for like 1 second then dies. as far as the trigger wheel and sensor alignment the sensor bracket is real tight and the sensor as well i bought my trigger wheel and sensor bracket kit from 02again.com witch is probably the best EDIS kit available for BMW m10 motor. however that doesnt mean that errors are impossible but iv checked it because Bent says "its one of the most common errors in EDIS runability" anyway if you explain electrical interferience to me id like to tested it or check it?- Ed.

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Are you definitely running resistor spark plugs?
www.trigger-wheels.com

eds911915

Post by eds911915 »

they are Bosch wr7dc pretty much standard for all the old school bimmers. do you think they are ok for EDIS?

cng1

Post by cng1 »

The "R" in the part number indicates that they are indeed resistor plugs so yes they'll be fine.
www.trigger-wheels.com

eds911915

Post by eds911915 »

so how do you test for electrical interference?

eds911915

Post by eds911915 »

i checked the voltage drop accross the power circuit and it was 0 thats at pin 2 at the coil pack and pin 8 at the EDIS module i have the fuse panal as the power supply. i was thinking i have weak pin drag but wouldnt that show up on a voltage drop test? i get the same number between pins 1 & 2 of the coil pack and pins 12 & 10 witch represent the primary circuit. im running a motorcraft coil pack from a 95 ford escourt.