EDIS - Spark/Fuel but non starter

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

63 Bug

EDIS - Spark/Fuel but non starter

Post by 63 Bug »

I've fitted EDIS to my car with the intention to add either Megajolt or Megasquirt in the future as funds allow.

I've wired it in according to the numerous wiring diagrams available and I cannot get it to start. I dont have the coil +ve feed capacitor, but I understand that it is not needed, especially for the engine to just run and idle.

I've got a spark, I've got fuel because the engine is still on carbs which I know are good.

The VR sensor is gapped to about 1mm and the 36-1 wheel missing tooth is 90° off from the sensor (9 teeth, clockwise, engine rotates clockwise)

I'm getting a 0.9VAC reading off the VR sensor on cranking, is that enough? I've read on here that it should be about 2.5VAC I've changed the polarity of the sensor and it stopped sparking so I'm assuming its right. Is there any way to increase the voltage from the sensor? Or if it is sparking, does it not need any more voltage?

I've tried checking the timing but my Gunson timing light doesnt seem to work, I dont get a flash when connected to the HT lead for cyl 1, I understand that wasted spark can confuse some timing lights?

The firing order is 1-4-3-2 (its a flat 4 VW) I've got 1 & 3 connected to 1 coil, and 4 & 2 connected to the other. I have swapped them over as well incase the coil wiring is incorrect.

I've had the engine running briefly, but very badly, I'm assuming on only 2 cylinders because it wouldnt idle at all. Since then, nothing.

I gave up last night because I think the engine had flooded. I have checked the resistance of the coil, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for there and it sparks at the plug so something is happening!

Anyone got any ideas. I want to get the car running and idling on EDIS before I fork out a fortune for an ECU....

63 Bug

Post by 63 Bug »

It lives!

Turns out it was the plugs that were shot. Everything else was ok.

Onwards and upwards......

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

awesome you quickly found the problem! Enjoy the megajolt system.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

seat_der

Post by seat_der »

Jump power to the terminal from the battery (be sure the transmission is in neutral). If it doesn't start, your starter is toast. If it does, you have trouble between the key and the starter. Thats what i do when im having trouble starting a car..