New install holding back missfire

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

crazypolak

Post by crazypolak »

brentp wrote:I'm a bit concerned about the rigidity of the bracket where the sensor is mounted. The bracket between that and the block is *great* - looks thick and rigid - I would extend that bracket all the way out to the sensor mount.
I understand what you are saying however the adjustable part were the sensor is mounted is the universal bracket supplied by trigger wheels here in the UK.

The bracket is a work in progress needs tidying and finishing but since Ive cleaned the carbs all the running issues are resolved.

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

You need to triangulate / brace the bracket back to a point close to where the sensor plug is. Although the steel looks rather robust you will still get vibration and movement of the bracket and thus the sensor will move vibrate. I would also take a close look at the pip and saw wares. They are in a shielded cable? And they are running so that they are n where near the high tension leads of the ignition? Lastly take a spray bottle of watter and add some vinegar (a couple table spoons) Spray down the high tension cables at night with the motor running and see if you have any parking. You may have a bad set of wires. I had a similar problem and it was the result of a bad set (really old) wires I was using that I got that I was using. Replace the wires with new ones and all was fixed.

If you look at your photo I don't like the distance between A & B. This will a low vibration and needs to either have the bracket that is holding the sensor welded to the bracket that you mounted to the motor or I would put another bolt as close to A through both brackets as possible.

C-D is where I think you need to triangulate / brace. That piece of metal that s holding the sensor is rather thin.
Attachments
DSC07219.jpg
DSC07219.jpg (77.84 KiB) Viewed 8780 times
Respectfully

Dean

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Dean, that photo is perhaps a little deceptive. The "thin" section of the bracket is 3mm thick steel so it isn't going anywhere. Were it aluminium then yes it would definitely need a gusset.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

I know the hill climb took place over 2 months ago - how did it go? How did the engine perform?

Also, could we get some pics of the car and install?
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

cng1 wrote:Dean, that photo is perhaps a little deceptive. The "thin" section of the bracket is 3mm thick steel so it isn't going anywhere. Were it aluminium then yes it would definitely need a gusset.
3 mm really is not all that thick. You can / will still get vibration. The moment connection between the two brackets is so far back from the bend in the bracket that it is creating a lever effect. I can see vibration as a real issue. The bracket looks to have been bent a bit to get the proper alignment. If you can bend it it can vibrate. Especially since there is not a gap between the bracket that enlarges as you move away from the connection point. Add the weight of the sensor at that distance away from the lever point and then the distance back to the moment connection between the two brackets and I can see it being a problem.
Respectfully

Dean