question on tach adapter

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

rkassed

question on tach adapter

Post by rkassed »

Hi guys, I have a rover v8 in an mgb with fuel injection. I have a tach adapter and am wondering how it wires into the system? I see that I need the coil trigger wires to go into this, do I just splice into them? or is there supposed to be an output wire from the coil packs? The original system took the pulse from the coil to run the tach and also the fuel injection needs the same pulse to see engine speed. a little confused.
Randy

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The brief instructions for the tach adapter are here:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/TachAdapter

Essentially you connect up to 4 coil primaries to each of the COIL1 / COIL2 / COIL3 / COIL4 inputs.

The coil primary connections are the inputs to the coil pack. if you have the typical Ford 4 cylinder coil pack, the center wire is +12v, and the outer connections are the two primary connections. Correspondingly, if you have an 8 cylinder arrangement, you may have two Ford coil packs; in which case, you would have 4 primaries total, which you would connect to each of the inputs of the tach adapter.

The output of the tach adapter connects to your tachometer input.

Let us know how it works out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

rkassed

Post by rkassed »

Hi Brent, thanks, I guess what im asking is how do I wire it? Ive looked at the instructions and am wondering if I just tie into the primary wires? The primary wires dont need to pass through the tach adapter? Is there a picture of how its physically done? I looked at the instructions. Dont know if im explaining myself clearly....there is no input and then output through the tach adapter for the primary wires, only input, do I just strip back a bit of the insulation on the primary wires and solder in a piece of wire thats connected to the tach adapter terminals?

paulc

Post by paulc »

i am going through this right now too and have the same question.

from what i can tell, the coil packs still need the two signals (assuming EDIS4) and the tach adapter needs input too.

so, the EDIS output of pin number 10 and 12 needs to essentially be split (Y).

for pin #10 one going to the tachAdapter and one going to the actual coil pack.
same for pin #12

is this correct Brent?

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Yes. you just "tee" into those two connections on pins 10+12
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com