EDIS spark loss

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Mydmc5898

EDIS spark loss

Post by Mydmc5898 »

I've installed EDIS on my 81 DeLorean.
However,( and I hope I'm posting in the right place) I've seen to run into a problem and hope someone can help, or point me in the right direction.
To elimante the ecu as a variable I've disconnected it just to see what difference it makes.

The problem:
Starting the car when cold it fires right up and dries great. Shutting it down while warm to hot and it takes several cranks to start. We found that it has no spark. Usually takes 6 cranks or more to get it to start again.

What I've tried so far:
1. Replaced the module (brand new)
2. Swapped out the coil with a brand new one.
3. Moved the module and coil to another location where there is less heat.
4. Cut open the harness and found that one wire going from the VR to module was cutting out.
5. Replaced entire set of wires in the EDIS section.
6. Plugged the ecu you and cranked, the VR is sending a signal to the EDIS and Ecu. I can watch the RPMs

After all this it still has the same problem.
Also seems like a random miss fire happens as well.

I've isolated the problems to the EDIS 6 system. Just can't figure it out. Should I try a new VR?

Also possibly a stupid question...
Once I replaced all the harness wires, I ran two regular copper wires from the VR to the sedition where the orginal wires where. Because of this the VR two wires are only half covered in a shield.
Does it matter much? She starts but now runs rough.
I figured that was due to a spark plug wire which was bad. I have a new set.
Also to note the spark plug wire was a DIY kit from Pepboys.
We had pulled it several times to test the loss of spark, the metal clip came out.
So I didn't think it had anything to do with my starting since it has done it from day one.
Another important set of issues. I found corrosion in the could pack where the spark plug wires meet. Have to clean that out. And when trying to start, if I let off the key a random spark will fire once I stop cranking.

Thanks in advance,
Darryl

toenee

Post by toenee »

Not familiar with DeLoreans apart from back to the future of course, but it sounds to me lke it's running some sort of ballasted ignition system. Where at starting it's powering the coil through a non ballast bypass, which sounds like it's not connected ?

Mydmc5898

Post by Mydmc5898 »

The original set up had that and a distrubitor.
But I removed everything "DeLorean" motor, igntion system, ecu. I'm using megasquirt and followed thier instructions on how to wire up the EDIS. And it works, but acts up after the engine has been running and is hot.
When I googled this problem I couldn't find much help. I've tried swapping out every EDIS part and rewired everything. The only thing not changed is the Tooth wheel and VR sensor. Didn't know if I should try the VR sensor.

toenee

Post by toenee »

Could it possibly be the edis unit overheating ? Got mine mounted on a lump of ally, thats bolted directly to the body.

Mydmc5898

Post by Mydmc5898 »

It's possible I guess.
I have mine mounted against the fiberglass firewall behind the driver seat. It's right under a vent and pretty far away from touching anything hot.
But when this did happen we had a fresh out of the box coil on stand by.
As soon as it happen we just plugged the new one in and it was the same problem.
So I ruled that out.
I don't know much about electrical parts. So I didn't know if he wires from the VR to the module were/are bad. Maybe maybe bad plug wires? The only thing taking on heat is the VR, trigger wheel and harness with the two singal wires going from the VR to the module.

toenee

Post by toenee »

Could be a earthing problem, I know years ago a mate with a capri had problems because the edis unit was mounted on a freshly painted shell.

Mydmc5898

Post by Mydmc5898 »

My module is grounded to the engine through a ground wire. The 6 pack coil I just have bolted to the fiberglass.
Could I just add a ground wire from a bolt holding it in place and run it to a ground on the motor as well?
Because I don't believe it's grounded to anything.
Maybe that is the problem?

Thanks!
Darryl

toenee

Post by toenee »

All my earths (grounds) for the megajolt/edis/coilpack go to the same earthing point, which is one of the bolts that holds the alloy plate with the edis unit on. So this cold well be the problem, fingers crossed.

Mydmc5898

Post by Mydmc5898 »

I will do that tonight. Hopefully it is the problem, or at least part of it.
I had my ECU grounded to the left valve cover, and the EDIS module is grounded to the same cover, just another bolt. I'll run a ground off the EDIS and run it to the same groud for the module. Hopefully I ge a chance to run it tonight as well. I'll be kicking myself if that's all it is.

I have another dumb question lol. The two wires running off the module to the VR sensor are covered in a shield. About half of those two wires is not covered. The half not covered runs from the sensor (located not far from the muffler) to near the injectors. From that point to the module they are shielded and run into the harness.
Is it adviasable to shield the bottem half as well?
It was orignially. But I had to repaire a damaged wire and couldn't salvage the shielding that I removed.

The way I have them covers is I twisted them around each other and taped them in about 5 layers of electrical tape. I than ran a cover of heat protection tape around them as well. Then taped that again with electrical tape and lastly used plastic loom. Being the wires (not bare) are touching will this possibly cause a problem?

Thanks for the help!
Darryl

toenee

Post by toenee »

The shielding as far as I'm aware, is to reduce electrical noise rather than heat. So as long as there not near the alternator/dynamo they should be ok, but not hundred percent sure on that. Obviously as long as there haven't melted together.

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

The lack of shield around wires could be the issue. Spark plugs &, I believe, injectors could cause interferences because of pulses.
You can get a cable for microphone which is shielded for $3/4 at any electronic store. I got mine for 1.5€/m, here in France. It is worth a try IMHO.

The shield has to be connected to ground (at EDIS connector, as you might have done it already).
I would check with a voltmeter if ground vs. Vbatt- is showing 0V. For peace of mind, I would also connect everything to Vbatt- . This is what I've done with my setup.
Mathieu

Not Anumber

Post by Not Anumber »

If in doubnt check the flux capacitor.