Megajolt woes - no spark

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

damunk

Megajolt woes - no spark

Post by damunk »

the installation was done 2 years ago and worked fine. put another engine in and no spark on plugs

there is 11.85V from centre pin on that goes into main coilpack. to get 12V i touch centre pin with one lead, and the other lead i touch ground which in this case was the car engine.

the only different thing i did was i pulled the wire on vr sensor and re-wired it. :files/cranksensordiagramannotated_large_912.png
the wiring is 100% correct from sensor as per link, i checked for continuity also and there is no cut in the wire from sensor to edis.

the sensor is right up to the trigger wheel, hardly any gap. 0.00001. if that's even possible. it's as if touching.

how check for voltage with vr sensor. do i touch pins 10 and 12, againt any earth on car like i did on the coil pack connector?

worried because cranking engine with new rings new camshaft.

P.S just checked and all ground connections still good including cable shielding grounds, they all were put at the same point.
p.s
Attachments
cranksensordiagramannotated-large.png
cranksensordiagramannotated-large.png (145.36 KiB) Viewed 14467 times

damunk

Post by damunk »

Just realised something.

The coil pack used to be on a steel bracket that was mounted on the side of the engine.

I decided to spray paint the steel bracket. That should not have anything to do with it should it?

Spraying the bracket and by accident pulling the wire on the VR sensor are the only different things I have done.

damunk

Post by damunk »

looks like the coil pack casing it is getting a ground through the bolts. so that's out of the equation , although i doubt it was going to be that as the ground can also come through the spark plugs.

also checked resistance on vr sensor.
put multimeter on 2000ohms setting and got a reading of 391.

but when i let the positive lead on pin 6 and negative lead on pin 5 to measure the voltage , i get 0 V when I am cranking.

damunk

Post by damunk »

how come when i crank the 12v from the coil pack connector drops to 0v?

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

You say you rewired the vr-sensor, does that mean that you also opened the Edis connector? Are all the connector pins in place and pushed down enough? It doesn't take much to miss connection; guess how I found out....

Alex

damunk

Post by damunk »

i had this problem when i first installed megajolt.
because it's been a few years i totally forgot about it.

the problem was when i was cranking 12v was lost on the coilpack therefore there was no spark when cranking. soon as you stopped cranking there was 12v at the coil pack so it's abit deceiving as you feel the wiring is correct when it's not.

i then gave the megajolt, coilpack etc a constant 12v supply even when cranking.