RaceCapture/Pro device not listed on Device Manager

Report any thing that looks like a bug or problem in the system here

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

GTIspirit

RaceCapture/Pro device not listed on Device Manager

Post by GTIspirit »

I was having some trouble connecting to the Race Capture Pro the day after upgrading to firmware 1.2.7. (For some reason it worked ok yesterday but decided to make trouble today......) I checked the Windows Device Manager to check if it somehow changed ports. But it wasn't being listed:( So I flashed back to firmware 1.2.5 and now it listed as expected under COM11.

GTIspirit

USB broken?

Post by GTIspirit »

Weird, now I have the same problem today with the firmware 1.2.5. I connected, read the config, disconnected and reconnected the USB a few times and now no connection to the computer. I reinstalled the device driver hardware but next to it is a yellow triangle with explanation point inside. Properties lists "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

And at regular intervals I get a Windows alarm chime, "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. Recommendation: Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, replace the device."

I never had problems before and didn't take any recent Microsoft updates. Are both my computer USB ports broken or the RCPro itself is now broken?

GTIspirit

Problem found?

Post by GTIspirit »

Ahhh, I think I found the problem. Bad Lua script must've crashed the RCPro. I re-flashed the firmware 1.2.7, which erases the config in the process. Then I could get a connection again.

This appears related to a comment Brent made in a separate post about a bad Lua script crashing the unit and one of the important updates in firmware 2.0 will be to re-boot in "safe mode" with Lua scripting disabled.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you figured it out. try the latest firmware, however - just announced.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

arezza

Post by arezza »

I just got this same problem with 2.8.3 except even when I re-flash there is no connection.

All the same symptoms which you described above are happening as well.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi arezza,

Is this an MK1 or MK2 system? which OS are you on?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

arezza

Post by arezza »

This is an MK2 and im using windows 7

I finally got it working again, but I went through 4 different re-flashes.
it worked after flashing to 2.7.2 for some reason, then flashing back to the latest. I still dont know what exactly happened... the last thing I did was change a sample rate in the lua script from 10Hz to 20Hz for a couple virtual channels which log through CANbus from my megasquirt, next thing I know, I lose all communications through the usb to the racecapture app

Is this common?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Never seen that before. Without us being able to see it in action or reproduce, it's hard to say.

However, if the lua script crashes for some reason, RCP will light up the red light and bypass running Lua script, allowing it to start in 'safe mode' where you can correct or recover from a problem. Might want to keep an eye out if it does something like that.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter