Problems, Problems, Problems

Report any thing that looks like a bug or problem in the system here

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

CRF

Problems, Problems, Problems

Post by CRF »

First, Avast will not allow me to download RC 1.2.4 (Win32.Malware-gen), so I been using 1.2.2. Virustotal also has three other sites that have problem with it (including TredMicro-Housecall).

Have old Mk1 unit, tried to upgrade to 2.7.8 firmware on a Win 7 machine, bootloader would not see the unit on the USB bus. I had this problem once before, so I when back and got it to upgrade on my old XP machine (same thing I did last time). I then had problems getting the V2 USB driver to load on Win7. Ended up getting them to load the very hard way.

I tried to run RC 1.2.2 on my XP machine, but each time I do I get an "Kivy Fatal Error" and a lot of junk characters being printed out for the message. I tried to uninstall it and install it again, didn't fix the problem.

The sticky note under RC Software: New Firmware / Software Releases is from March 2014, it a little out of date.

Finally, I get it up and running, tested the analog inputs that I have been using and everything seems fine. I now configure my unit to record RPM and Frequency and Period on the three RPM/Pulse channels. To test unit, I feed my unit a 5v square wave at 400 Hz, and I'm fine on RPM1 and RPM2, but every time I touch RPM3, my unit locks up. If I'm logging, it stops logging, on the Dashboard, you can see that the unit stops responding, but the green led stays lit. I also get the computer beeping me to stay that the device has drop out. The Device Manager no long shows the RC com port. I found that I can reboot the unit by unplugging the usb cable and plugging it back in. I have set both RPM2 and RPM3 with the same parameters (SR 5Hz, CM Freq, TS Fast, PPR 1), and I get good values display for RPM2, but when I touch my signal probe to RPM3, my unit crashes. I have tried a number of different parameters for RPM3, it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have double check my wiring, and it correct.

I'm trying to record the frequency and duty cycle of a signal, which I think is fixed, but might vary depending on RPM, so I want to use all three frequency inputs. Is there any way to measure both frequency and duty cycle on one input?

Carl

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi -

On the 1.2.4 app malware warning we believe this to be a false positive, which happens sometimes with the nullsoft installer we use ; We've passed this through Norton anti-virus and it came through clean.

For the Kivy launch error - this error is unfortunate due to it's unhelpful nature (garbage characters) but it means that the OpenGL V2 graphics are not supported on the computer. You may be able to update the video driver to a newer version, or try a different computer. This isn't a message we created, it's generated from the app framework we're using.

For the lockup - you're touching the same wire to channel 3 as you are to channel 1 and 2?

Also, what firmware version are you running? We just released v 2.7.9 firmware for MK1.

We'll see if we can get this replicated on our end.

-Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

CRF

Post by CRF »

Malware - If Virustotal had reported that only Avast had reported it, I would not reported it. The fact that TredMicro-Housecall also has problems tells me you should try to get nullsoft to fix the problem.

I finally got my Windows 7 machine to load the bootloader, and used it to updated my MK1 unit to 2.7.9. Are you going to update the MK1 so we can upgrade the firmware via the RC app?

The problem with "Kivy Fatal Error" happen on my old Dell XP SP3 machine. To the best of knowledge, it has the most current video driver. If this is the problem, then it sounds like you are going to greatly limit RC from running on the older machines.

The new 2.7.9 firmware did NOT fix the problem. Right now, I have RPM2 and RPM3 configured with the same exact settings, and I have no problems when I touch my 400 hz signal to rpm1 and rpm2 inputs. When I using the same signal and touch rpm3, my unit crashes. It is the unit that crashes, I can turn on logging, and the logging stops working when I touch rpm3, and the logging file stops at that point.

Carl

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Carl,

The framework requires OpenGL 2.0 as a minimum- sorry it doesn't work on your older machine.

The MK1 firmware update will continue to be through the flashRCP.bat tool - MK2 uses a different bootloader protocol that's not compatible with MK1.

Your test appears straightforward and clear so we'll take a look at reproducing it on our end. We'll report back here.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Carl, still looking at this. Could you upload your RCP configuration file here? You might need to zip it up, fyi.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

CRF

Post by CRF »

I had simplify it a lot, but at times I had problems getting the rpm to show up on the dashboard, so I left the analog settings which are easy to test.

Can you change RC so that it remembers the last folder you save/load, at least while RC is running. On my system, every time I go to save a file, I have to go to the folder where I save my files, which I have to do EVERY time I do a save.
Attachments
RC RPM3 bug.zip
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks - so the latest version of the RC app does save the last remembered folder.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter