RaceCapture 1.2.7 won't launch on OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Report any thing that looks like a bug or problem in the system here

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

alangbaker

RaceCapture 1.2.7 won't launch on OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Post by alangbaker »

That's pretty much it.

D/L'd, copied to Applications...

...won't launch.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Alan,

Is this working for you using the latest 1.3.13 app? you can download it here: http://www.race-capture.com/software
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

alangbaker

Post by alangbaker »

brentp wrote:Hi Alan,

Is this working for you using the latest 1.3.13 app? you can download it here: http://www.race-capture.com/software
Well:

1. I did say I was using 1.2.7 in the subject line. :)

2. But it's actually hard to tell, because on the Mac, your software doesn't give me any way to check the version.

3. I did try downloading the latest version (1.3.13), but it doesn't appear to launch.

I will try restarting my system, but as of this moment, only my older version works (launches). That version is "0.0.0" in "Get Info" and the "About" dialog, but reports its creation and modification date as June 11, 2015 at 7:06pm, and its size as 31,415,378 bytes. That version (whatever it is) will launch.

Restarting now. More to follow.

Alan

alangbaker

Post by alangbaker »

Restarted my Mac... ...still no launch for RaceCapture 1.3.13

alangbaker

Problem found: hard-coded paths.

Post by alangbaker »

Brent,

The reason I was having trouble launching some versions of RaceCapture was that when I was trying to determine which versions would work, I was renaming them with the version included: "RaceCapure.app" renamed "RaceCapture 1.2.7.app" etc. Then I tried putting them in sub-folders numbered by version and that also resulted in failure to launch properly

It appears the software has some hard-coded path data: "/Application/RaceCapture.app/..." and any variation from that can cause problems. I'd suggest that there are methods for writing Mac software that make it so that there is no need for dependence on the application being in a particular place or having a particular name.

Not a big thing, but one that will catch out Mac users from time to time. :)

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi Alan, can you provide the error you encountered that led you to figure out that the paths were incorrect? I'm not aware of our software requiring the app to live in /Applications, I've launched it from various places before.

If you can, can you try launching it via the command line? Open up a terminal, cd into /path/to/RaceCapture.app/Contents/MacOS and run `./Kivy` and send us the output. Thanks!
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

alangbaker

Post by alangbaker »

rdoherty wrote:Hi Alan, can you provide the error you encountered that led you to figure out that the paths were incorrect? I'm not aware of our software requiring the app to live in /Applications, I've launched it from various places before.
What can I tell you: I just launched version 1.3.13 from /Applications and named "RaceCapture.app", then quit it, moved it to a folder called "racecapture 1.3.13" and it failed to launch. Once I moved it back to /Applications, it launched again.
If you can, can you try launching it via the command line? Open up a terminal, cd into /path/to/RaceCapture.app/Contents/MacOS and run `./Kivy` and send us the output. Thanks!
OK.

Alans-MacBook-Pro:MacOS agbaker$ cd /Applications/racecapture\ 1.3.13/RaceCapture.app/Contents/MacOS/
Alans-MacBook-Pro:MacOS agbaker$ ./kivy
2015-10-19 13:11:42.878 kivy[1379:69029] App did finish launching
/Applications/racecapture 1.3.13/RaceCapture.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 9: /Applications/racecapture: No such file or directory
/Applications/racecapture 1.3.13/RaceCapture.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 26: /Applications/racecapture: No such file or directory
/Applications/racecapture 1.3.13/RaceCapture.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 26: exec: /Applications/racecapture: cannot execute: No such file or directory

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Try naming it 'racecapture133.app' and see what happens, I wonder if the space is breaking some code somewhere, thanks!
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

alangbaker

Post by alangbaker »

rdoherty wrote:Try naming it 'racecapture133.app' and see what happens, I wonder if the space is breaking some code somewhere, thanks!
That would appear to be it!

Renamed the path without the space and all was fine.

Moved the app back to /Applications, renamed it without a space ("RaceCaptureTest.app"): still fine.

Renamed it WITH a space ("RaceCapture Test.app"): fails

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Cool! Thanks for helping us figure out the problem, I will file this as a bug.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for working with us through this.

So to clarify, after downloading, you immediately renamed it, then you observed the failure launching?

If you download and ran as-is, it does run, correct?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

alangbaker

Post by alangbaker »

Brent,

I don't even have to re-download it. Just making sure the complete path has no spaces fixes the problem.

Alan

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Got it. So, until we fix it to allow the path to include spaces, the approach we'll recommend to users is to not add any spaces in the path name after downloading.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

alangbaker

Post by alangbaker »

Yup!

And it should be a fairly simple fix: just a matter of providing the correct quotes around the places where the path is used.

:)