RCP MK2 Can't Connect

Report any thing that looks like a bug or problem in the system here

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

redbeardracer

RCP MK2 Can't Connect

Post by redbeardracer »

I have a RCP Mk2 was working with my android tablet until the latest updates and plugging in my new legacy OBDII connector.

With USB cable plugged in to RCP on windows 7 laptop with latest drivers, the USB device failure message pops up immediately. Also, the device manager screen in windows seems to refresh every 15 - 20 seconds. No sign of RCP MK2.

With USB cable plugged in to RCP and windows 10 laptop, (no drivers loaded), the RCP is not listed / recognized.

I have updated to latest Race Monitor release on both Android and the laptops.

Via bluetooth connection on the android tablet, RaceCapture never connects to the RCP anymore and the box where the "searching..." not longer updates nor displays a status along the top of RaceCapture.

I've turned off and on bluetooth many, many times, including unpairing the device.

It last connected the very first time I had OBDII plugged in, but I never got to stream any data, and realized I needed to do a firmware update on the RCP. But I'm unable to connect to update firmware.

All my latest testing has been with OBDII disconnected from RCP.

Car is a 1997 Mazda Miata with a close to "spec miata" prep level. (Stock ECU and wiring.)

Any hints and suggestions welcomed.

My podium site, with a brief test data stream from the other evening. (And 2016 races)https://podium.live/u/redbeardracer[/url]

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Sorry to hear of the issues. Let's figure this out.

First question, when you plug in your RaceCapture system - over USB or 12v - do you see any activity on the LEDs in the front? Anything blinking? That would be a basic indicator if the system is alive or not.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

redbeardracer

Post by redbeardracer »

Thanks Brent!

When I turn on the 12v power, I do get a solid green led in the lower left of the 4 leds. The other three leds on the RCP2 are dark.

And the bluetooth module is a fast green flash.

The GPS antenna led gives a red flash.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This must be a MK1 system based on your description of the GPS module

It sounds like the firmware might be un-responsive. Did you attempt a firmware update before this happened? A partial firmware update would render the system inoperable.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

redbeardracer

Post by redbeardracer »

I hadn't made enough connections to be able to start the firmware upgrade.

redbeardracer

Post by redbeardracer »

Here is my installation
Attachments
unit
unit
IMG_0481.JPG (31.43 KiB) Viewed 4838 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Definitely a MK1 system. So to confirm, when you give it power, you don't see any LEDs on the system flashing?

One thing you can do is attempt a firmware upgrade by downloading the firmware here: https://autosportlabs-software.s3-us-we ... _2.8.7.zip

And following the instructions in the zip file. Highly recommend doing this on a Windows 7 machine, if you can find one as Windows 8 and later require manipulating the system settings to avoid driver signing checks, which is a big hassle.

If you do get stuck, we can take a look at it and perform the necessary firmware upgrade and repairs for a nominal fee.

Try the firmware upgrade first and let us know if you still have problems; we'll take care of you.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

redbeardracer

Post by redbeardracer »

Thanks Brent - I'll post an update after I try that firmware. I do have a Windows 7 PC I can use.

redbeardracer

Post by redbeardracer »

OK, I've tried several times with my Windows 7 laptop, and it never connects to the RCP.

"USB Device Not Recognized" - One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.

"Unknown USB device".

Device manager keeps cycling/refreshing when it is plugged in about every 15 seconds.

One green light comes on on the RCP when it's plugged in.

Both with the external power hooked up, and only powered through the USB cable, I get these same results.

Perhaps I need to send the unit in for evaluation?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you see it cycling with USB it sounds like something we should take a look at. ping us at [email protected] and we'll work to turn it around quickly.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

redbeardracer

Post by redbeardracer »

Thanks Brent, I'm request #8972.