RCP MK2: Track detection doesn't work when powered from OBD

Report any thing that looks like a bug or problem in the system here

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

turbogrill

RCP MK2: Track detection doesn't work when powered from OBD

Post by turbogrill »

Hi,

The track detection didn't work when I had the RCP MK2 powered and connected to my OBD2.
As soon as I disconnected the OBD and powered the RCP from another power source the track detection worked perfectly.

The OBD power data seemed to be flaky as well. I could only have 2 OBD channels otherwise the OBD readings would be all messed up. The OBD data refresh rate was also very slow, about 1Hz.
The connection to the RCP was stable and the voltage readings where stable.

The log files on the SDCARD was also messed up and scrambled. Not sure if its related.

I am using a Legacy OBD adapter that I just bought.

Car: Porsche 996 MK1
RCP: RCP2 MK2 Firmware 2.12.0

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

The track detection occurs when GPS gets a lock; it should not be related at all to OBDII function.

If you're getting scrambled data on the SD card, make sure you have a freshly formatted (FAT32) card inserted, and try again. https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCaptureLoggingData

What OBDII channels do you have enabled? How does it work with two channels, such as RPM and TPS?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

turbogrill

Post by turbogrill »

brentp wrote:Hi,

The track detection occurs when GPS gets a lock; it should not be related at all to OBDII function.

If you're getting scrambled data on the SD card, make sure you have a freshly formatted (FAT32) card inserted, and try again. https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCaptureLoggingData

What OBDII channels do you have enabled? How does it work with two channels, such as RPM and TPS?
Hi,

The OBD works pretty bad, it's very flaky. It works for sometime then all of a sudden the RPM goes down to zero and none of the OBD channels are being read. It still gets power from the OBD port and the voltage looks good.

Can I return the OBD legacy adapter? It doesn't seem to work with my car.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

What year is your 996? From the description it sounds like perhaps a bad connection, where it loses electrical connection and then connects again.

Does the module fit firmly in the port of the car, or is it a bit loose? The OBDII port doesn't have a strong latch and might come loose easily - a short OBDII extension might relieve some stress from the module hanging off of the port.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

turbogrill

Post by turbogrill »

brentp wrote:Hi,

What year is your 996? From the description it sounds like perhaps a bad connection, where it loses electrical connection and then connects again.

Does the module fit firmly in the port of the car, or is it a bit loose? The OBDII port doesn't have a strong latch and might come loose easily - a short OBDII extension might relieve some stress from the module hanging off of the port.
It's a 1999. I can try and fiddle a little more. It certainly doesn't feel like the OBD ports where made for racing, pretty sloppy connection.

I don't think it's CAN.