Continuity between hardware / app / lua script

Got a burning desire for a new feature? post it here!

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

ed

Continuity between hardware / app / lua script

Post by ed »

Hi. Received my RCP last week. Installed it on an E30 (see introduction post). These is not really project request but couple minor issues observed during install. So not sure best posted under this topic.

First, Road America is not an East Coast track. It's solidly fly-over country...Midwest. Say this tongue in cheek! But...

More to the actual issue. There a lack "continuity" (not the electrical type) between the hardware / app / lua script. The best way I can explain is by example. I scripted a multi function warning light (water temp, oil pres, batter voltage) that triggers a 5v dash mounted LED. All the sensors were calibrated & functioning, The LED is connected to PWM1. I wrote the script and went to test the light by altering the trigger values. Couldn't get it to work. Tinkered with the PWM1 configuration. Nothing. Tested voltage at the terminal block and light wasn't bad. No voltage and no. Reviewed the Lua script. No problem. Went to the documentation. Found there were DIP switches I needed to changed. Removed cover from RCP. Found there were no DIP switches in MK2. Still stumped, I sat down and after some time it figured-out that: Lua Script getanalog(0) = RCP Analog (1), Lua Script setAnalogOut(0) = references the (1) analog out on the terminal block...and so on and so forth

A bit convulated but hope that makes sense?

It's small issue and I did figure it out. But only after a frustrating few hours diversion and chasing dead ends. Install was otherwise easy and documentation good. My suggestion is to:

1) harmonize everything between the app, hardware & Lua script.
2) I imagine this may not be feasible as it is legacy issue. So at least make a general notation u- front in the the Lua Script guide to help others avoid the mistake.
3) Clarify the documentation for DIP switches between MK1 & MK2 so noobs like me aren't unnecessarily busting-open their cases.

Finally, move Road America to Midwest.....don't let East Coasters take credit for one of America's greatest tracks!

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Hi ed, sorry you had some problems with the analog channels! That can be confusing. I've added a 'Lua Scripting Basics' section here that mentions this https://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCaptu ... ipt_Basics

Can you provide a link to where the DIP switches are mentioned? I'm having trouble finding that page.
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

ed

Post by ed »

I found a reference to it here, Race Capture App User Guide, under the "Pulse/Analog Out" section. https://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCaptu ... Analog_Out

Then I found myself here https://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCaptu ... _.28SW1.29 How I got there, I don't know! Probably searched Google for "race capture pro dip switches" after seeing it in App User Guide section. Which is MK1 documentation I realized only after the fact. But given the reference in the app guide I was focus on DIP switch hunt.

I suppose if you just take out that one sentence from the app user guide or note dip switches only apply to MK1...all will good.

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Thanks! I've updated both pages to be more clear. Let us know if you have any more questions or thoughts!
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs