Recording file number showing as a virtual channel

Got a burning desire for a new feature? post it here!

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

FHB-PERFORMANCE

Recording file number showing as a virtual channel

Post by FHB-PERFORMANCE »

Hi Brent and Ryan,

I requested this feature before I could not find a response for that.

It would be very handy for our tests (and the car manufactures that I am trying to sell the RCP Pro) if I could create a virtual channel which could show the recording file number.

The reason is: If I conduct a 1/4 mile 6 times, I can see its times for each run. However, I can´t know which file number is for that run (I have to count and memorize the sequence, which sometimes I get lost). It is very important for our tests once I can make notes like "run 4, file number 4, had wheel spin launching with 3500rpm"

So, could you guys create some address/channel which shows the recording number? My integrated with the "isLogging" channel, which could return the file number instead of "on/off"

Thank you again,
Felipe

toga94m

Post by toga94m »

If you're logging time (from the GPS, so it's accurate), you can write down the time of your tests (cellphone time is very accurate too) and use that info to re-sync them later. That's how I reconnect RCP logs from our dual-driver autocross car with our timed runs at the end of the day.
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC

FHB-PERFORMANCE

Hi Toga94m,

Thanks for the suggestion. But it would be better and easier to have the file number. Especially when you have several files and you need to find them on your computer when processing. Also, sometimes we have issues in a Launch maneuver and we have to re-start again. So, difference of seconds for each recorded file.

I will use this strategy until we get the file number available.

Thanks
Felipe

FHB-PERFORMANCE

I have been requested this feature

Hi Brent,

Nowadays we have a big car website (with 2million visits per month) using a RCP Mk2. In near future (some weeks) we are going to prepare an article explaining the new test procedures and how accurate e precise the results are when the tests are done using RCP Mk2. So, we are going to have a big "exposure" with that article.

However, they are still asking me a channel which we could see the file number (RCP37, for example) when they are recording some tests. It is very handy for their tests if they could see which file number is for that specific maneuver once they do at least 6 runs of each one (launch, overtaking, braking and etc...). Just as example, it is very handy if they have the file number when they play with different rpm during launch. They could note "RCP 37 -3000rpm, RCP38-3500rpm". I know we can see this data when you open the file but it is much easier if we can know the file number on real time.

And this is a valuable feature for the car manufactures as well (telling from my experience). Sometimes we have more than 100 maneuvers which means more than 100 files. As told you, I am going to knock the car manufactures engineering department here. RCP it is much cheaper than Vbox and delivers similar results with more feature (durability team are interested in the telemetry SIM card feature - So they can have a car running durability tests with several ssensors and check the data on real time)

Anyway, I believe that is not hard to create a channel to provide this information. Especially when you already have some logic which creates sequential file number. You just need to show it.

Thank you again for your attention!
Felipe