Smoothing

Discussion on the Lua Scripting capabilities for RaceCapture/Pro. Also see the <a href="http://autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro_Lua_Scripting">Lua Scripting Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

wcorredor

Smoothing

Post by wcorredor »

Can you document or give us insight about the new smoothing feature and how it works and how to configure it?
Will it replace the averaging loops that we used in lúa scripting? It would be great to remove them as they take plenty of space.
Thanks
Wcorredor

wcorredor

Smoothing

Post by wcorredor »

Any comments on this?

tfriest

Post by tfriest »

I'm curious if I can use smoothing instead of the current RPM filter I have.

My raw RPMs fluctuate wildly and the current filter I have (throws out both low and high values) only helps a little.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The smoothing filter should eliminate the need for using averaging filters in most cases. We're working on expanding the dynamic range for the smoothing filter to about 200 ms decay between min / max, to improve handling of fuel tank slosh. That should be out in the 2.13.6 or 2.14.0 firmware, whichever comes out first.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

wcorredor

Smoothing changes values

Post by wcorredor »

I tried the smoothing on the analog channels. It works well as far as smoothing but it changes the average values it reads. For example, the voltage from the fuel sender when empty was 0.84V, measured both with a volt meter and with the Racecapture raw. Once I put the smoothing value, 98 for example, and move the sender to simulate full, and back to empty it starts slowly to go down. However, after it smooths completely, the value in Racecapture is 1.20V. It never goes down to the real value any longer.

It is OK, as it smooth well, but I had to change the curve of the mapping to reflect higher values in the entire scale. They do stay proportional.

Is that what you intended? It is strange.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Which firmware are you seeing this on?

We are changing the smoothing algorithm in 2.14.0 firmware to extend the dynamic range, to account for fuel level sensors needing even more smoothing. This may change the results you are seeing.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

wcorredor

Post by wcorredor »

It actually works well with gas. It takes about 1 minute from full to empty. But it just changes the values.